My research has centered around three areas: scientific communication, rhetorical theory and, most recently, visual communication. Currently, I am completing a manuscript on scientific communication and putting the finishing touches on prospectus for a book on visual conmmunication the sciences.
Educational Background & Specialties
- The Rhetoric of Science. Gross, Alan, Harvard, Author, 1996.
- Rhetorical Hermeneutics: Invention and Interpretation in the Age of Science. Gross, Alan, William M. Keith, SUNY, Co-Editor, 1997.
- Rereading Aristotle's Rhetoric. Gross, Alan, Arthur E. Walzer, Southern Illinois Press, Co-Editor, 2000.
- Chaim Perelman. Gross, Alan, Ray D. Dearin, SUNY, Co-Author, 2003.
- Communicating Science: The Scientific Article from the 17th Century to the Present. Gross, Alan, Joseph E. Harmon; Michael Reidy, Oxford, Co-Author, 2002.
- Starring the Text: The Place of Rhetoric in Science Studies. Gross, Alan, Southern Illinois, Author, 2006.
- The Scientific Literature: A Guided Tour. Gross, Alan, Joseph E. Harmon, Chicago, Co-Editor, 2007.