Ron R Aminzade
Educational Background & Specialties
- Ph.D.: Sociology, University of Michigan.
- 19th century France
- class formation
- democratic theory
- historical sociology
- political change in East Africa
- political sociology
- race relations
- social movements
- sociology of development
- Soc 8011 - Sociology of Higher Education: Theory and Practice
- Research Methods: Historical Sociology
- Soc 3322 - Social Movements, Protest and Change
- Soc 8390 - Nationalism, Citizenship, and Race in Global Perspective
Research & Professional Activities
- Chair: Social Science Research Council, International Dissertation Field Research Program , 2002 - 2004
- Series Co-Editor: University of Minnesota Press , 1996 - 2005
- Vice President: Books for Africa, 2001 - 2005
- Community Solutions for Africa's Development: Board of Directors, 2007 - 2009
- Project Zawadi: Board of Directors, 2008 - 2010
- Historical Sociology and Time: Aminzade, Ron, Sociological Methods and Research, 20 456-480, 1992.
- Ballots and Barricades: Class Formation & Republican Politics in Nineteenth Century France: Aminzade, Ron, Princeton University Press, 1993.
- The Social Worlds of Higher Education. Aminzade, Ron, Bernice Pescosolido, Pine Forge Press, 1999.
- Silence and Voice in the Study of Contentious Politics: Aminzade, Ron, Cambridge University Press, 2001.
- The Politics of Race and Nation: Citizenship and Africanization in Tanganyika: Aminzade, Ron, Political Power and Social Theory, 2000.
- From Race to Citizenship: The Indigenization Debate in Post-Socialist Tanzania: Aminzade, Ron, Comparative Studies in International Development, 2003.
- Nation Building in Post-Colonial States: The Cases of Tanzania and Fiji: Aminzade, Ron, Eric Larson, UNESCO, International Social Science Journal, #192 169-182, 2008.
- Historians and the Study of Social Protest: Aminzade, Ron, Brian Dill, Social Movements Across the Disciplines, 267-311, 2007. Download
- Nation-States Confront the Global: Discourses of Indigenous Rights in Fiji and Tanzania: Aminzade, Ron, Eric Larson, Sociological Quarterly, 48 801-831, 2007.
- Race, Nation, and Citizenship in Post-Colonial Africa: The Case of Tanzania. Aminzade, Ron, Cambridge University Press, Author, 2013.
- Center for Advanced Study, Palo Alto fellow
- College of Liberal Arts Teaching Award, University of Minnesota, 1990
- Graduate-Professional Teaching Award, University of Minnesota, 2001
- Arthur "Red" Motley Exemplary Teaching Award, College of Liberal Arts, University of Minnesota, 2012