Prof Yanjie Bian
Educational Background & Specialties
- Ph.D.: Sociology, State University of New York at Albany, Albany, New York, 1990.
- M.A. : Sociology, Nankai University, China, 1984.
- B.A: Philosophy, Nankai University, China, 1982.
- Economic sociology
- Social networks
- Social Stratification
- Chinese Society
- Soc 3090: Topics in Soc: Chinese Society: Culture, Networks, & Inequality
- Soc 3201: Inequality: Intro to Stratification
- Soc 3811: Basic Social Statistics
- Soc 5811: Intermediate Social Statistics
- Soc 8201: Social Stratefication & Mobility
- Soc 8290: Topics in Social Stratification
- FSEM: Chinese Society
Research & Professional Activities
- Guanxi-based corporate social capital; Social networks and jobs in Chinese cities; Institutional change and social mobility in post-Mao China.,
- “Subjective Wellbeing of Chinese People: A Multifaceted View,” with Lei Zhang, Jianke Yang, Xiaoxian Guo, Ming Lei, 2015. Social Indicators Research 121: 75-92.
- “Information and Favoritism: The Network Effect on Wage Income in China,”with Xianbi Huang, Lei Zhang, 2015, Social Networks 40: 129-138.
- “Felt-Suffering in China,” with Jing Shen, 2015, pp. 187-202 in World Suffering and Quality of Life, edited by Ronald E. Anderson, Springer.
- East Asian Social Networks. Bian, Yanjie, with Ken’ichi Ikeda co-edited by Reda Alhajj & Jon Rokne. Springer, Encyclopedia of Social Network Analysis and Mining, Author, 2014.
- “Corporate Social Capital in Chinese Guanxi Culture,” with Lei Zhang, 2014. Research in the Sociology of Organizations 40: 417-439.
- “Urban-Rural Housing Inequality in Transitional China,” with Chuntian Lu, 2014, pp. 179-201 in Analyzing China’s Population, edited by Isabelle Attané and Baochang Gu. Springer.
- Education and Career Mobility under China’s Market Economy. Bian, Yanjie, with Jianghua Yang, Cheng Cheng edited by Shibao Guo and Yan Guo, Boston, MA: Sense Publishers, Author, 2014.
- The Chinese General Social Survey (2003-2008): Sample Designs and Data Evaluation. Bian, Yanjie, Lulu Li, Chinese Sociological Review , Author, 2012.