Prof Yanjie Bian
Prof Yanjie Bian
Educational Background & Specialties
- Ph.D.: Sociology, State University of New York at Albany, Albany, New York, 1990.
- M.A. : Sociology, Nankai University, China, 1984.
- B.A: Philosophy, Nankai University, China, 1982.
- Economic Sociology
- Social Networks
- Social Stratification
- Chinese Society
- FSEM 1904 - Chinese Society
- Soc 3090 - Topics: Chinese Society: Culture, Networks, & Inequality
- Soc 3201 - Inequality: Introduction to Stratification
- Soc 3421 - Sociology of Work: Good Jobs, Bad Jobs, No Jobs?
- Soc 3811 - Basic Social Statistics
- Soc 5811 - Intermediate Social Statistics
- Soc 8201 - Social Stratification & Mobility
- Soc 8290 - Topics: Social Stratification
Research & Professional Activities
- Guanxi-based corporate social capital; Social networks and jobs in Chinese cities; Institutional change and social mobility in post-Mao China
- "Subjective Wellbeing of Chinese People: A Multifaceted View," with Lei Zhang, Jianke Yang, Xiaoxian Guo, Ming Lei, 2015. Social Indicators Research 121: 75-92.
- "Information and Favoritism: The Network Effect on Wage Income in China," with Xianbi Huang, and Lei Zhang. 2015. Social Networks 40: 129-138.
- "Felt-Suffering in China," with Jing Shen. 2015. World Suffering and Quality of Life edited by Ronald E. Anderson, Springer. 187-202.
- "East Asian Social Networks," 2014. Encyclopedia of Social Network Analysis and Mining 417-433.
- "Corporate Social Capital in Chinese Guanxi Culture," with Lei Zhang. 2014. Research in the Sociology of Organizations 40: 417-439.
- "Urban-Rural Housing Inequality in Transitional China," with Chuntian Lu. 2014. Analyzing China’s Population edited by Isabelle Attané and Baochang Gu. Springer. 179-201.
- "Education and Career Mobility under China’s Market Economy," with Jianghua Yang, Cheng Cheng edited by Shibao Guo and Yan Guo. 2014. Spotlight on China: Changes in Education under China’s Market Economy 231-250.
- "The Chinese General Social Survey (2003-2008): Sample Designs and Data Evaluation," with Lulu Li. 2012. Chinese Sociological Review 45: 70-97.