Elizabeth Heger Boyle
Educational Background & Specialties
- Ph.D. : Sociology, Stanford University, Stanford, CA, 1996.
- J.D.: magna cum laude, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA, 1987.
- M.A: Sociology, University of Iowa, Iowa, 1987.
- B.S.: Sociology,summa cum laude, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA, 1983.
- Sociology of Law
- Children’s and Women’s Rights
- FSEM 1905 - Race, Religion & Migration
- HSEM 3020 - Understanding Migration
- Soc 1001 - Introduction of Sociology
- Soc 3090 - Topics: Global Perspective on Women's Health
- Soc 4101W - Sociology of Law
- Soc 4170/Glos 4406 - Sociology of International Law
- Soc 4966W - Senior Projects
- Soc 4977V - Senior Honors Preseminar I
- Soc 4978V - Senior Honors Preseminar II
- Soc 8090 - Topics: Cross-Disciplinary Perspectives on Human Rights
- Soc 8090 - Topics: Grant Writing & Funding
- Soc 8090 - Topics: Theoretical Approaches to Human Rights
- Soc 8011 - Sociology of Higher Education
- Soc 8101 - Sociology of Law
- Soc 8390 - Topics: Globalization
Research & Professional Activities
- Affiliate Faculty: University of Minnesota College of Law , 1996 - present
- Board of Trustees: Law & Society Association, 2012-2014, 2003-2005.
- Council Member: Sociology of Law Section of the American Sociological Association, 2014-2016.
- Chair: Sociology of Law Section of the American Sociological Association, 2010-11.
- Abortion Politics in the Global Arena: Transnational organizations from the International Planned Parenthood Association to the Roman Catholic Church have gotten involved in shaping abortion policies around the world. How has this affected governments’ regulation of abortion and what are the implications for women?
- IPUMS-Demographic and Health Surveys Project: Funded by the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, this project enhances the ability to conduct comparative research with DHS data for scholars and policymakers around the globe
- "Refugees," Elizabeth Boyle, Jasmine Trang Ha. Forthcoming. In Youth and Young Adulthood: New Perspectives and Agendas, Ed. Andy Furlong. New York: Routledge.
- "Abortion Liberalization in World Society, 1960-2009," Minzee Kim, Wesley Longhofer. 2015. American Journal of Sociology 121(3): 882-913.
- "National Human Trafficking Initiatives: Dimensions of Policy Diffusion," 2015. Law & Social Inquiry 40(2): 631-663.
- "When Do Laws Matter? National Minimum-Age-of-Marriage Laws, Child Rights, and Adolescent Fertility, 1989-2007," with Minzee Kim, Wesley Longhofer & Hollie Nyseth Brehm. 2013. Law & Society Review 47(3):589-620.
- "Female Genital Cutting," Ed. Heather Montgomery. 2013. Oxford Bibliographies in Childhood Studies New York: Oxford University Press [online].
- "Neoliberalism, Transnational Education Norms, and Education Spending in the Developing World, 1983-2004," with Minzee Kim. 2012. Law & Social Inquiry 37(2): 367-394.
- Analyzing the Power of Child Rights Discourse in the Global Community: Human Rights: New Possibilities/New Problems," with Hollie Nyseth Brehm. ed by Austin Sarat. Bingley. 2011. UK: Emerald Group Publishing.
- "Law and Culture in a Global Context: The Practice of Female Genital Cutting," with Amelia Corl. 2010. Annual Review of Law and Social Science 6:195-215.
- Faculty Mentoring Award, Sociology Department, University of Minnesota, 2011, 1998.