Educational Background & Specialties
- PhD: Sociology, University of Sussex, United Kingdom, 2006.
- MA: University of Guelph, Canada, 2002.
- BSocSc: Economics, University of Ottawa, Canada, 1995.
- Migration; Gender, Race and Class; Family; Islam; Education, Development Studies; Human Rights; Globalization; Africa; Middle East.
- Soc 1001: Introduction to Sociology
- Soc 3505: Transnational Migration
- Soc 3681: Gender and Family in the Islamic World
- Soc 8390: Topics in Soc: Comparing Migrations
- Soc 8390: Topics in Soc: Global Migrations
Research & Professional Activities
- One of my new projects examines the educational attainment and school choices of new migrants. For children of migrant parents, the American education system can be their ladder to social mobility and the realization of their American dream, or it can leave them behind as a part of millions of Americans whose lives remain precarious. This study investigates the increasing role ethnocentric charter schools are playing in new refugee and migrant groups’ education in Minnesota and how this shapes their long-term settlement and integration in the United States.,
- “Elusive Jannah: The Somali Diaspora and a Borderless Muslim Identity," University of Minnesota Press, 2015.
- “Threatened Identities and Gendered Opportunities: Somali Migration to America.”2014. Signs: Journal of Women in Culture and Society 39, no. 21: 459-483.
- “Muslim-American Youth and Homeland Politics: Competing Narratives on the War on Terror.” 2011. In Looming Shadows: Migration and Integration at a time of Upheaval. European and American Perspectives. Vedran Dzihic/Thomas Schmidinger (eds.), Center for Transatlantic Relations: John Hopkins University pp. 273-289.
- “Moving Beyond ‘Xenophobia’: Structural Violence, Conflict and Encounters with the ‘Other’ Africans.” 2011. Development Southern Africa 28(5): 691-704.
- “Convergence of Civil War and the Religious Right: Re-Imagining Somali Women.” 2007. Signs: Journal of Women in Culture and Society 33(1):183-207.
- Fulbright Research Fellowship to South Africa, 2012 - 2013