Douglas Hartmann PhD
Educational Background & Specialties
- Ph.D. : Sociology, University of California, San Diego , San Diego, CA, 1997.
- C.Phil / MA : Sociology, University of California, San Diego , San Diego, CA, 1994.
- M.A.: Social Sciences, University of Chicago, Chicago, 1990.
- A.B. : History, University of Chicago, Chicago, 1989.
- Ethnicity and Immigration
- Sociology of Culture
- Sport Studies
- Social Movements
- American Society
- Field Methods
- Contemporary Theory
- Public Engagement
- Soc 1001 - Introduction of Sociology
- Soc 1011V : Honors: Introduction to Sociology
- Soc 3211W - American Race Relations
- Soc 3801 - Sociological Research Methods
- Soc 4451 - Modern Sport: Its Power & Paradoxes
- Soc 4966W - Major-Project Seminar
- Soc 4977V - Senior Honors Preseminar I
- Soc 4978V - Senior Honors Preseminar II
- Soc 8001 - Sociology as a Profession
- Soc 8090 - Topics: Contemporary Theory and Practice
- Soc 8090 - Topics: Contexts Workshop
- Soc 8090 - Topics: Sociology and It's Publics
- Soc 8090 - Topics: Great Books
- Soc 8290 - Topics: Race and Religion in America
- Soc 8211 - Race Relations Theory
- Soc 8801 - Sociological Research Methods
- Soc 8890 - Advanced Research Methods: Ethnography
Research & Professional Activities
- Kids Involvement and Diversity Study (KIDS)
- Sport & Social Intervention (midnight basketball book, forthcoming)
- The American Mosaic Project
- The Society Pages
- "Colorblindness in Black and White: An Analysis of Core Tenets, Configurations, and Complexities." with Alex Manning and Joseph Gerteis. 2015. Sociology of Race and Ethnicity.
- "Kids of Color in the American Sporting Landscape: Limited, Concentrated, and Controlled." with Alex Manning. 2015. Child’s Play edited by Michael Messner and Micheala Musto. Rutgers University Press.
- Migration, Incorporation, and Change in an Interconnected World." with Syed Ali. 2015. New York: Routledge / Taylor-Francis.
- "Reflections on Race, Diversity, and the Crossroads of Multiculturalism" 2015. The Sociological Quarterly. 56(4): 623 - 639
- “Binge Drinking and Sports Participation in College: Patterns among Athletes and Former Athletes." with Kyle Green and Toben Nelson. 2014. International Journal for the Sociology of Sport 49 (3-4): 417-433.
- "Politics and Sports: Strange and Secret Bedfellows." with Kyle Green. 2014. The Social Side of Politics edited by Douglas Hartmann and Christopher Uggen. New York: Norton. 87-102
- "Race-Based Critical Theory and the ‘Happy Talk’ of Diversity in America." with Joyce Bell. 2013. Illuminating Social Life: Classical and Contemporary Theory Revisited edited by Peter Kivisto. Sage. 229-248.
- Multimedia Educational Resource for Learning and Online Teaching (MERLOT) Award for outstanding, peer-reviewed online resource, 2013