Douglas Hartmann PhD
Educational Background & Specialties
- Ph.D. : Sociology, University of California, San Diego , San Diego, CA, 1997.
- C.Phil / MA : Sociology, University of California, San Diego, San Diego,CA, 1994.
- M.A.: Social Sciences, University of Chicago, Chicago, 1990.
- A.B. : History, University of Chicago, Chicago, 1989.
- Ethnicity and Immigration
- Sociology of Culture
- Sport Studies
- Social Movements
- American Society
- Field Methods
- Contemporary Theory
- Public Engagement
- Soc 3211W - American Race Relations
- Soc 4966W - Major-Project Seminar
Research & Professional Activities
- Kids Involvement and Diversity Study (KIDS); ,
- Sport & Social Intervention (midnight basketball book, forthcoming),
- The American Mosaic Project,
- The Society Pages.org. ,
- Migration, Incorporation, and Change in an Interconnected World. with Syed Ali. 2015. New York: Routledge / Taylor-Francis.
- “Reflections on Race, Diversity, and the Crossroads of Multiculturalism.” 2015. The Sociological Quarterly.
- “Colorblindness in Black and White: An Analysis of Core Tenets, Configurations, and Complexities.” with Alex Manning and Joseph Gerteis. 2015. Sociology of Race and Ethnicity.
- “Kids of Color in the American Sporting Landscape: Limited, Concentrated, and Controlled.” with Alex Manning. 2015. In Child’s Play, edited by Michael Messner and Micheala Musto. Rutgers University Press.
- “Binge Drinking and Sports Participation in College: Patterns among Athletes and Former Athletes.”(with Kyle Green and Toben Nelson). International Journal for the Sociology of Sport, 49 (3-4): 417-433. (2014)
- “Politics and Sports: Strange and Secret Bedfellows.” (with Kyle Green). Pp. 87-102 in The Social Side of Politics, edited by Douglas Hartmann and Christopher Uggen. New York: Norton. (2014)
- “Race-Based Critical Theory and the ‘Happy Talk’ of Diversity in America.” (with Joyce Bell). Pp. 229-248 in Illuminating Social Life: Classical and Contemporary Theory Revisited, edited by Peter Kivisto. Sage. (2013)
- MERLOT Award (Multimedia Educational Resource for Learning and Online Teaching) for outstanding, peer-reviewed online resource, 2013