Michael R Goldman
Michael R Goldman
Educational Background & Specialties
- Ph.D.: University of California, Santa Cruz, CA, 1994.
- MA: Sociology, University of California at Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz, CA, 1990.
- B.S: History and Journalism, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL, 1982.
- Political Economic and Urban Sociology
- Transnational Institutions of Finance
- Development and Expertise
Research & Professional Activities
- Provincializing global urbanism; the making of a world city (Bangalore, India); financialization of the city, urban ‘spaces of hope’.,
- "Introduction: Urban Revolutions in the Age of Global Urbanism." 2015. Special Issue, Urban Revolutions in the Age of Global Urbanism. Urban Studies . Co-authored with Eric Sheppard et al. Download
- "With the Declining Significance of Labor, who is Building our Global Cities?" 2015. International Labor and Working-Class History. vol. 87, Spring. Download
- “Development and the City.” November 2014. In Faranak Miraftab and Neema Kudva, eds., Cities of the Global South Reader. NY: Routledge. Download
- “As Cities become Financialized…” Interview feature article in Express magazine, Istanbul, Turkey, March 2014. Download
- “Speculative Urbanism and the Making of the next World City.” 2011. International Journal of Urban and Regional Research 25:3. Download
- “Speculating on the Next World City.” 2011. In Aihwa Ong and Ananya Roy, eds., Worlding Cities: Asian Experiments and the Art of Being Global, NY and London: Wiley Blackwell. Download
- "Making World Cities," with Wes Longhofer. 2009. Contexts 8(1, Winter), reprinted in Hartmann and Uggen, Contexts Reader, NY: Norton 2011.
- "How 'Water for All!' Became Hegemonic: The Power of the World Bank and its Transnational Policy Networks." 2007. Special issue on global water policy. Geoforum 38(5):786-800.
- "Under New Management: Historical Context and Current Challenges at the World Bank." 2007. Special issue on Wolfowitz’s bank. Brown Journal of World Affairs 8(2, Summer):11-25.
- Imperial Nature: The World Bank and Struggles for Social Justice in the Age of Globalization. 2005. New Haven, CT and London: Yale University Press. Yale UP paperback edition, 2006; India edition, Hyderabad: Orient Longman Press, 2006; Japanese edition, Kyoto: Kyoto University Press, 2008.
- CLA Teaching Award, 2012 - 2013
- McKnight Presidential Fellow, 2006 - 2008
- Distinguished Book Award, Imperial Nature, Political Economy of World Systems, American Sociological Association