Raymond D Duvall
Educational Background & Specialties
- Ph.D.: Northwestern University, Evanston, IL, 1975.
- critical political economy
- critical international relations
- global governance
- social institutions of global capitalism
- critical security studies
- Militant Agnosticism and the UFO Taboo, in Leslie Kean, ed., UFOs: A call for reason and responsible action, Harmony Books, 2010. (Co-authored with Alexander Wendt).
- Borders, Power, and Resistance: Bounding and Challenging Europe, in Andrew Davison and Himadeep Muppidi, eds., Europe and Its Boundaries, Lexington, 2009: 225-241. (Co-authored with Ayten Gí¼ndogdu and Kartik Raj).
- Critical Astropolitics: The Geopolitics of Space Control and the Transformation of State Sovereignty, in Natalie Bormann and Michael Sheehan, eds., Securing Outer Space: International Relations Theory and the Politics of Space. Routledge (Critical Security Studies), 2009: 42-58. (Co-authored with Jonathan Havercroft).
- Sovereignty and the UFO, Political Theory, 36, August, 2008: 607-633. (Co-authored with Alexander Wendt).
- Taking sovereignty out of this world: space weapons and empire of the future, Review of International Studies, 34, October, 2008: 755-775. (Co-authored with Jonathan Havercroft).
- Traveling in Paradox: Edward Said and Critical International Relations Theory, Millennium: Journal of International Studies, 36 (1), December, 2007: 83-99. (Co-authored with Latha Varadarajan).
- Power in Global Governance. Cambridge University Press, 2005. (Co-edited with Michael Barnett).
- Power in International Politics, International Organization, 59(1), Winter, 2005: 39-75. (Co-authored with Michael Barnett). Reprinted in David A. Baldwin, ed., Theories of International Relations. Ashgate (Library of Essays in International Relations), 2008.
- Resistance to Empire: The Contemporary Role of Critical International Relations Theory, International Review (Shanghai Institute for International Studies, China), 36, Autumn, 2004: 112-125. (Co-authored with Latha Varadarajan).
- On the Practical Significance of Critical International Relations Theory, Asian Journal of Political Science, 11, December, 2003: 76-88. (Co-authored with Latha Varadarajan).
- The International Relations of Democracy, Liberalism, and War: Directions for Future Research, in Tarak Barkawi and Mark Laffey, eds., Democracy, Liberalism, and War: Rethinking the Democratic Peace Debate. Lynne Rienner, 2001: 195-208. (Co-authored with Jutta Weldes)
- Cultures of Insecurity: States, Communities, and the Production of Danger. University of Minnesota Press, 1999. (Co-edited with Jutta Weldes, Mark Laffey, and Hugh Gusterson).
- Institutions and International Order, in Ernst-Otto Czempiel and James N. Rosenau, eds., Global Changes and Theoretical Challenges: Approaches to World Politics for the 1990s. Lexington Books, 1989: 51-73 (Co-authored with Alexander Wendt).
- Academy of Distinguished Teachers, University of Minnesota, 1999-present.
- Outstanding Contributions to Post-Baccalaureate, Graduate, and Professional Education, University of Minnesota, 2000.
- College of Liberal Arts, Teaching Award, University of Minnesota, 1988
- Morse Amoco/Alumni Teaching Award, University of Minnesota, 1988
- Honored scholar, “Structuralisms: A Symposium in Honor of Bud Duvall,“ University of Minnesota, April 2008. (conference organized by Alex Wendt [Ohio State University], Jutta Weldes [University of Bristol] and Michael Barnett [University of Minnesota].)