Teresa T Swartz
Teresa T Swartz
Educational Background & Specialties
- Ph.D.: University of California, San Diego, CA, 2001.
- Intergenerational Relations
- Social Inequality
- Asian American Studies
- Welfare State
- Youth and Young Adulthood
- Soc 1001 - Introduction of Sociology
- Soc 1011V : Honors: Introduction to Sociology
- Soc 1905 - FSEM: Not Just Child's Play
- Soc 3090 Topics: Asian American Identity, Families and Communities
- AAS 3251W/Soc 3251W - Sociological Perspectives on Race, Class, and Gender
- Soc 3503/Soc 3503H - Asian American Identities, Families and Communities
- Soc 4090 - Topics: Asian American Identity and Culture
- Soc 4511 - Sociology of Youth: Transition to Adulthood
- Soc 8001 - Sociology as a Profession
- Soc 8011 - Sociology of Higher Education
- Soc 8501 - Sociology of Family
- Soc 8090 - Advanced Methods: Interviewing
Research & Professional Activities
- Asian American Studies Core Faculty, University of Minnesota:
- Growing Up But Not Apart: Young Adults’ Relationships with Their Parents. This study focuses on the changing transition to adulthood and its effects on intergenerational relationships among families from diverse backgrounds.: This project uses interviews with 489 young adults from around the country to explore the material and other supports that young adults receive from and provide to their parents
- Hmong Youth and Young Adult Acculturation and Ethnic Identity: This project explores how young adult children of Hmong refugees have understood their ethnic identities and cultural heritage over the course of growing up in St. Paul, MN
- Second Generation Asian Heritage Parenting: This study examines second generation Asian American parenting perspectives and practices
- Kids Involvement and Diversity Study (KIDS): This study investigates extracurricular activities of diverse children and youth, parent and youth motivations for participation, and their effects for kids and families
- "Crossings to Adulthood: How Diverse Young Americans Understand and Navigate their Lives," Hartmann, Rumbaut. Forthcoming. Brill.
- "Safety Nets and Scaffolds: Parental Support in the Transition to Adulthood," with Kim, Uno, Mortimer and O'Brien. 2011. Journal of Marriage and Family 73:414-429.
- " Intergenerational Family Relations in Adulthood: Patterns, Variations, and Implications in the Contemporary United States," 2009. Annual Review of Sociology 35:191-212.
- "Family Capital and the Invisible Transfer of Privilege: Intergenerational Support and Social Class in Early Adulthood," 2008. New Directions for Child and Adolescent Development 119:11-24.
- Parenting for the State: An Ethnographic Analysis of Non-Profit Foster Care . 2005. New York: Routledge.
- " Mothering for the StateFoster Parenting and the Challenges of Government-Contracted Carework," 2005. Gender and Society 18(5):567-587.