Assistant Professor of Photography
The Department of Art in the College of Liberal Arts invites applications for a full-time, tenure-track faculty position to begin fall semester 2017 (08/28/2017).
To apply, please visit the Office of Human Resources job website and search for job code #312723.
This appointment will be 100% time over the nine-month academic year (late-August to late-May). Appointment will be at the rank of tenure-track assistant professor, depending on qualifications and experience, and consistent with collegiate and University policy.
The Department of Art at the University of Minnesota seeks an artist with primary expertise in photography and secondary expertise in digital film and/or video practices. With this new position, we seek to strengthen the Department of Art’s new area of Photography and Moving Images with a new colleague who brings a broad perspective across contemporary image making with competency ranging across traditional and digital image making technologies. The ideal candidate will have a strong technical and theoretical foundation, as well as an expansive approach that embraces the changing role of images in society. We seek a energetic colleague with a strong professional record and the ability to teach across the curriculum working with non-majors, BA, BFA, and MFA students.
• MFA in Art or equivalency**
• Evidence of an on-going and active professional record at a national and international level
• Minimum of one year full-time teaching photography at the university or college level (beyond graduate school teaching appointment or assistantship)
• Extensive and demonstrable knowledge of traditional darkroom and contemporary digital photographic processes
• Demonstrable experience with contemporary film and/or video practices
• Expertise in the history and theory of contemporary photography
• Knowledge of the history and theory of contemporary film and/or video art practices
• More than one year full-time teaching experience from the introductory through graduate level
• Experience teaching at an R1 research institution
**Department of Art Policy Statement
In lieu of an MFA, the following could be considered in determining professional recognition and experience:
1) Advanced studies at a foreign school that does not award MFA degrees.
2) Extended advanced study with recognized artists in the field.
3) Professional achievement that would provide a depth of knowledge of the field comparable to an MFA.
4) Evaluation by leaders in the field attesting that because of exhibition record and other professional achievement, that person was the equal of an MFA.
In evaluating these equivalencies, it should be kept in mind that depth of participation in the field, not simply time in residence, is being considered.
Candidates will be evaluated according to:
a) overall quality of their creative work and recognition in their field,
b) relevance of their creative practice to the department's academic priorities and fields of inquiry,
c) evidence of commitment to teaching and skills as a teacher, and
d) strength of recommendations.
Application to this posting is a two-step process:
1) application through the U of MN employment site, and
2) portfolio submission through ‘SlideRoom’
Both processes must be completed on-line. SlideRoom will be open through 12/1/2016, 11:59 PM to submit work.
To be guaranteed review, applications must be received by December 1, 2016. The position will remain open until filled.
Please visit the Office of Human Resources job website for more detailed information about this position.
Job Opening: 312723