Hella Mears Fellowship
The Hella Mears Graduate Fellowship fund demonstrates Hella Mears's support and commitment to the Center for German & European Studies and fostering graduate student research on a wide variety of German and European topics. Since the fellowship's inception, fellowships have been awarded to advanced graduate students in a number of liberal arts disciplines. Find out more about past Hella Mears Fellowship winners.
Up to eight fellowships are available for summer 2017. Two types of Hella Mears Graduate Fellowships are available:
- Fellowships for outstanding incoming students at time of recruitment (only departments may nominate candidates). Nomination deadline: February 20, 2017.
- Fellowships for outstanding advanced graduate students (individuals apply directly to CGES).
The Hella Mears Graduate Fellowship also provides summer support in the amount of $5,000 to full-time advanced graduate students in the College of Liberal Arts. Application deadline: March 10, 2017.
- Full-time graduate students in the College of Liberal Arts seeking a PhD who are in the dissertation phase or immediate pre-dissertation phase (post oral preliminary exams at time of award)
- Applicants have demonstrated outstanding academic promise and potential in their fields and propose to write a dissertation contributing to German and/or European Studies
- Good academic standing
- Willingness to share research results with an appropriate audience
- Applicants have not held an earlier Hella Mears Fellowship Award