For more information on ways to
Office of Institutional Advancement
220 Johnston Hall
101 Pleasant St SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455
For other giving options, visit
the U of M Foundation.
You Make Us Great
The Department of Cultural Studies and Comparative Literature (successor to the Departments of Humanities and Comparative Literature) is at the forefront of comparative, interdisciplinary research and teaching in the humanities. Our distinguished and award-winning faculty mentor students in two PhD-granting graduate programs and two undergraduate major tracks.
The department has a number of initiatives under way for fostering a rich and fruitful educational experience for our graduates and undergraduates alike, where your support can make a very meaningful difference.
Your tax-deductible contribution provides our students with encouragement and vital financial support. It gives our faculty resources for enlarging knowledge and understanding. It helps to build and sustain a distinguished reputation for the department.
What Your Gift Can Do
Your contribution allows us to ensure:
- A distinguished faculty: creating endowed chairs and professorships and supporting interdisciplinary research centers and programs will help us recruit and retain outstanding faculty.
- Excellence and competitiveness of our graduate program: faculty choose institutions that attract the best graduate students. We need to ensure the excellence and competitiveness of our graduate programs so that we may compete for the best faculty and brightest students.
- A diverse and engaged undergraduate student body: although we are attracting better students than ever before, too many other outstanding students choose other institutions, often for financial reasons. Merit and need-based scholarships are needed to recruit many outstanding students.
Choose a Fund
We have two funds that may interest you. Our annual fund, the first fund listed below, supports special events including public lectures and conferences and helps defray research-related expenses. The second is a graduate fellowship fund honoring the scholarly achievements of Professor John Mowitt and the contributions he continues to make in the lives of the students he teaches and advises.
- Cultural Studies Development Fund (Fund 3594)
This fund supports public lectures, conferences, and other special events, as well as research-related expenses, within the Department of Cultural Studies and Comparative Literature.
- John Mowitt Fellowship Fund (Fund 7754)
This fellowship, which honors the scholarly achievements of Professor Mowitt and the contributions he continues to make in the lives of our students, helps to support and recruit graduate students in the Department of Cultural Studies and Comparative Literature.
A dynamic Department of Cultural Studies and Comparative Literature is a valuable asset for the University, our local community, and the world. Your gift can help support the next generation of leaders and thinkers.