Your Academic Experience in CLA
When you choose the College of Liberal Arts, you're choosing a college that supports your drive to discover. From freshman seminars to senior projects, study abroad to the honors program, you'll find interesting and challenging courses taught by some of the world's brightest faculty scholars and most talented instructors.
University Honors Program
College of Liberal Arts students can find exciting and challenging opportunities to learn and lead through the University Honors Program (UHP). UHP offers the benefits of a diverse world-class research university along with a supportive and high-energy learning environment. When you submit your application to the University of Minnesota, you will be automatically considered for admission to UHP. Admission is competitive. Each application is carefully reviewed by the University's Office of Admissions.
Your First Year
Your first year in the College of Liberal Arts will set the stage for you to make the most of your time here. This is a logical time to explore what college has to offer.
- Discover yourself and your place in the world through our course CLA 1001: The First-Year Experience.
- Take a freshman seminar to explore an interesting, unique topic of study in a small class with one of our many award-winning faculty.
- Choose a second language to study in depth and open yourself to greater understanding of that language and culture. Leaving college with this skill prepares you to succeed in our increasingly global society.
Things you can do when you go abroad:
- Study in your major
- Conduct research
- Participate in service-learning projects
You don't have to be on a coast to connect to the world. At the College of Liberal Arts, we don’t just connect you with learning abroad programs—we create the programs that other colleges flock to. You can find programs through the University of Minnesota Learning Abroad Center that are directly connected to your liberal arts major. Here are just a few of CLA's learning abroad programs:
- Ritual & Resilience in Japan
- Leadership Development in South Africa
- Environmental Field Research in Peru
- Great Minds of the Renaissance (Italy)
- Sowing Discord: GMOs in Europe & the US (Germany and Switzerland)
With more than 300 learning abroad programs to choose from, you will find the one that best matches your academic and personal interests. Still not sure? Hear from some of the 25% of CLA students who participate in learning abroad programs each year.