Manuscript Research Lab
The Manuscript Research Lab (MMRL) is a CMS project designed to provide guidance on the study of manuscripts. The Laboratory is intended to provide practical guidance and training in the areas of text studies, text editing, paleography and codicology.
The workshop will:
- introduce participants to the study of the medieval book as a physical object and a carrier of texts
- provide an overview of the history of Latin script from antiquity to the end of the Middle Ages
- give participants a chance to practice transcribing various medieval scripts from books and documents
- introduce principles and conventions of documentary editing
- allow participants to handle and examine original materials from the medieval period
- orient participants to the use of digital and printed facsimiles and catalogues.
The workshop is open to undergraduate and graduate students from any institution as well as to faculty, independent scholars, and other individuals interested in manuscript studies and having a background in classics, medieval studies, or library studies.
Participants will have access to the rare books and manuscripts in the Saint John’s collections, along with the extensive reference materials in the HMML and Arca Artium collections. The general collection in Alcuin Library will be unavailable during the 2016 MMRL.
The 2016 Manuscript Workshop will be held May 30–June 3, 2016 at the Hill Museum & Manuscript Library in Collegeville, Minnesota.
- Workshop Application. Review of applications begins March 15, 2016. Applications received after that date may be considered if space is available.
The 2016 workshop fee schedule is listed below. Funds are available for University of Minnesota graduate students officially registered for the Medieval Studies minor. Other students are encouraged to inquire about the availability of funds from their own academic departments.
- $825 includes workshop fee, air-conditioned housing for four nights, and all meals (three a day) and breaks.
- $650 includes workshop fee and all meals (three a day) and breaks.
- $600 includes workshop fee and air-conditioned housing for four nights.
- $400 includes workshop fee only.