High School Vocal Artist Summer Program
The University of Minnesota High School Vocal Artists Summer Program's mission is to train and develop the next generation of young singing artists. Coming in Summer 2017!
This week-long immersive experience prepares high school singers for the college and professional audition process through intensive classes, ensemble performances, and one-on-one voice lessons with the world class U of M voice faculty and Mill City Summer Opera performing artists. This unique collaboration with the Mill City Summer Opera provides students an opportunity to experience and work with top New York and Twin Cities talent. Students will attend performances in the beautiful riverfront setting of the Courtyard Ruins of the Mill City Museum. Training takes place at the School of Music in Ferguson Hall located on the U of M West Bank campus. All participants will lodge in the Middlebrook dormitory across from Ferguson Hall.
About the Program
- Lyric diction for English and Italian art song: Students will learn the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) and apply it to the English and Italian art song repertoire.
- Interpretation of art song: In-depth study of the interpretation of art song through poetic readings and monologue work.
- Acting: Developing skills for the recital stage.
- Alexander Technique: Students will learn body alignment, posture, and overall body health for vocal production.
- Private voice lessons and vocal coaching: The distinguished U of M voice faculty will focus on classical technique through age-appropriate repertoire.
- Master classes: U of M voice faculty along with Mill City Summer Opera guest artists will present master classes focusing on age-appropriate repertoire, career opportunities, and college preparation.
- Auditioning skills: Preparation for auditioning for college programs through mock auditions.
- Music theory and ear training: Written and aural perspectives will assist the young singing artist to become better musicians.
- Ensemble singing: Singers will perform duets, trios, or quartets to learn to sing in the solo/ensemble venue.
- Public recital: The week of study will culminate in a final public recital in Lloyd Ultan Recital Hall followed by a luncheon reception with parents and friends.
|Dr. Wendy Zaro-Mullins||Program director, associate professor, voice|
|John De Haan||Associate professor, voice|
|Jean del Santo||Assistant professor, voice|
|Adriana Zabala||Assistant professor, voice|
|Julian Ward||Coach, accompanist|
|David Lefkowhich||Artistic director, Mill City Summer Opera|
The High School Vocal Artist Summer Program will be held in the summer of 2017.
2106 4th Street South, Minneapolis, MN 55455
Enrollment is limited to 24 high school students (grades 9-12), 12 female and 12 male, selected by YouTube audition.
Information to be announced
Minnesota residents will receive a 10% discount on both tuition and room and board.
Two partial scholarships of $600 will be awarded to the most promising young artists at the end of the program. One male and one female participant will be chosen.
To be announced
To be announced
Recital and Luncheon
To be announced
How to Apply
Fill out the online application form, and follow the instructions for your YouTube submission.
YouTube submission deadline: to be announced
- Two contrasting classical songs of which one may be sung in Italian
- Two letters of recommendation
- Repertoire list
Non-refundable application fee: to be announced