Summer Music Theatre
Questions about Summer Music Theatre? Contact David Walsh.
The Summer Music Theatre program is a 13 day (August 1–13, 2016) hands-on theatre experience that runs 9:30 a.m.–5 p.m. on those dates. Summer Music Theatre’s mission is to train and develop the next generation of music theatre performers. This program is open to middle, high school, and junior college students with a strong interest in musical theatre. Students must be between the ages of 14 and 19. Some previous music theatre experience is a plus; students should have some experience in one or more performance skills, including singing, dancing, or acting. The intensive 13-day summer program offers students the opportunity:
- Develop critical techniques as well as stage, vocal and dance skills in a professional atmosphere.
- Learn selections and scenes from such classic musicals as Les Misérables, Fiddler on the Roof, My Fair Lady, Wicked, Into the Woods, and more.
- Participate in a wide range of scenes providing every performer a major role to play.
- Have hands-on experiences in the use of props, costumes, set elements and staging in the music theatre scenes they prepare.
- Perform in a showcase finale for family, friends and community on the Kilburn Arena Theatre stage of Rarig Center.
|David Walsh||Artistic Director|
|Bergen Baker||Vocal coach and drama instructor|
|Sarah Witte||Drama instructor|
|Linda Talcott Lee||Movement and choreography|
|Dawn Baker||Musical coach|
|Julian Ward||Musical coach|
Apply by May 27 and save $50 on tuition.
$425 per student, inclusive of all costumes and makeup. A 20% discount will be provided for each student from the same family. On accepted into the program, a non-refundable registration deposit of $75 is required. Checks should be made out to the U of M School of Music; please place "SMT" in the memo line. Mail your check to the following address:
Attention David Walsh, Summer Music Theatre
2106 4th Street South
Minneapolis, MN 55455
The remainder of the fee is due on July 27, 2016.
Auditions will be electronic submissions (video) of one aria/art song/music theatre selection as well as a one-minute monologue (memorized). Submissions can be made in either Mp4 or YouTube link formats and should be submitted to email@example.com no later than July 1, 2016.
Apply through our online application form.
Summer Music Theatre is supported by a generous grant from the Twin Cities Opera Guild.