Licensure & Equivalency
Music Admissions Office
The School of Music offers the music education licensure program and the music therapy equivalency program for those students who completed a music degree with another emphasis, but are now interested in entering into one of these two fields of study. Applicants must have a bachelor’s degree in music (BA, BMus, or BS) and excellent scholastic record with an overall degree GPA of at least 3.0 from an accredited, approved college/university.
Music Education Post-Baccalaureate Licensure Certificate
1. Apply. A complete application includes:
- Online Application (link to application forthcoming pending program approval)
- Official copy(s) of all relevant transcripts from all post-secondary institutions
- Applicant Statement
- Three current letters of recommendation from relevant references
- Interview (fall applicants will select from dates on application, spring applicants will be scheduled individually with faculty)
- Performance Proficiency Video: Submit performance proficiency video links via this online form no later than the application deadlines listed above. Video should include applicant performing two pieces of contrasting styles on a primary instrument. The voice is considered a primary instrument. Primary instrument may include non-classical instruments and selections may include popular styles of music.
2. Interview. You will receive formal confirmation of an interview time once the faculty have reviewed your application. Complete the required Music Education/Music Therapy Interview Profile and bring a printed copy of your responses to the interview.
Music Therapy Non-Masters Equivalency Program
1. Complete the School of Music application by December 15 for fall entrance. The music therapy program does not admit for spring entrance. A complete application includes:
- Online Music Application
- Official copy(s) of all relevant transcripts from all post-secondary institutions*
- Three current letters of recommendation from relevant references*
- Interview (select date on online music application)
*Submit official transcripts to Music Admissions, Room 200A Ferguson Hall, 2106 4th Street South, Minneapolis, MN 55455. Recommenders may send letters via email attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org. Materials are due no later than the application deadline.
2. Applicants will complete an interview on their selected interview date. Applicants should complete the required Music Education/Music Therapy Interview Profile and bring a printed copy of their responses to the interview.
email@example.com | 612-624-2847