Courses & Transfers
Courses in Religious Studies offer contextualized approaches to religious subject matter. Most of our courses originate in other CLA departments: history, Asian languages & literatures, classical & Near Eastern studies, anthropology, etc. With over 60 courses cross-listed with RELS, students have a wealth of options from which to choose.
Fall 2016 Courses
- RELS 1002 - Introduction to the Study of Religions in America
- RELS 1034 - Introduction to Jewish History and Cultures
- RELS 1201 - The Bible: Context and Interpretation
- RELS 3034 - Introduction to Jewish History and Cultures
- RELS 3071 - Greek and Hellenistic Religions
- RELS 3072 - The New Testament
- RELS 3201 - The Bible: Context and Interpretation
- RELS 3204 - Dead Sea Scrolls
- RELS 3321 - American Indian Philosophies
- RELS 3377 - A Thousand Years of Buddhism in China: Beliefs, Practices, and Culture
- RELS 3415W - Art of India (5 sections)
- RELS 3520 - History of the Holocaust
- RELS 3535 - Death and the Afterlife in the Ancient World
- RELS 3543 - Pagans, Christians, Barbarians: The World of Late Antiquity
- RELS 3544 - History of Christianity I: Martyrs, Monks, Crusaders
- RELS 3612 - Baroque Rome: Art and Politics in the Papal Capital
- RELS 3624 - Atheists & Others: Religious Outsiders in the United States
- RELS 3671 - Hinduism
- RELS 3708 - The Cultures of the Silk Road
- RELS 3709 - Ancient Iran
- RELS 3712 - Islam: Religion and Culture
- RELS 3715 - History of the Crusades
- RELS 3993 - Directed Studies
- RELS 4952 - Final Project (7 sections)
For fuller descriptions and more in-depth information on courses in the current or up-coming semester, see the ClassInfo database.
Religious studies and theology courses transfer if they are not doctrinal, confessional, or sectarian in nature. Religious studies courses from public institutions transfer without special review; religious studies courses from all other institutions must be reviewed by faculty of the Religious Studies Program.
Contact your academic advisor to request a review.