Connect & Network
SJMC offers many ways for you to connect and network with your fellow alumni.
- The School of Journalism and Mass Communication Alumni Society Board is made up of 10 to 12 members who serve in 3-year terms. Members are drawn from the SJMC alumni community and represent both the journalism and strategic communication industries. In addition to the Alumni Mentoring Program, the board also oversees the Alumni Award for Excellence and the Above the Fold Award, which recognizes outstanding alumni who are under 40. Contact President Mary Tan (BA '93) for more infomation about the board's work and how to get involved.
- The SJMC Alumni Mentoring Program is sponsored by the SJMC Alumni Society, which matches alumni volunteers with currently enrolled students. For the last three decades, the SJMC alumni board has made hundreds of mentoring matches, connecting SJMC juniors and seniors with professionals willing to share their experiences.
- U of M Alumni Association events and activities including periodic Emerging Professionals Network events and U-wide Mentor Connection events.
- Social media channels, including Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and YouTube.
- Murphy Monthly is a newsletter that's sent out via email to nearly 6,000 alumni with email addresses on file with the University of Minnesota Foundation.
- Murphy Reporter, SJMC's alumni magazine, is published twice a year.
Help Us Keep in Touch!
Moved? Changed email? New job? Help us keep up with you by updating your info now. Thank you!