Coakley Ames Writing Excellence Award
The Department of Writing Studies is pleased to announce the Coakley Ames Writing Award for students interested in improving their writing through advanced study. This award is made possible by a generous donation from the Coakley Ames family who supports improvement in student writing at the University of Minnesota.
Value: Two $1,500 awards
Applicants for this award:
- must be a technical writing & communication major with at least one semester of coursework remaining.
- must have taken at least six credits of writing courses (including first-year writing or writing intensive courses) with a GPA of 3.0 or higher in those classes.
- must be registered full time during the following spring semester at the University of Minnesota.
Funds will be awarded spring semester 2017. If the recipient of the award currently receives financial aid through the University of Minnesota, the award will be applied toward the student’s financial aid.
To apply for the award, send the following materials to email@example.com:
- An academic writing sample from a previous class (minimum of five pages).
- A one-page statement of interest in the major explaining how you hope to improve your writing through advanced study in TWC.
- An unofficial copy of your transcript.
Please include “Coakley Ames Writing Award” in the subject line of your email. If you would prefer to submit your application materials in person, you may deliver them to 214 Nolte Center.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about the award.
- 2016: Caitlin Shirk and Alicia Wilson
- 2015: John Orzechowski and Stephanie Ales
- 2014: Mary C. Stokes and Alexa Keenan
- 2013: Heidi Cameron and Carah Kucharski
- 2012: Phillip Stubbs and Frank Liang
- 2011: Andrea Daughtery, Alison Seacord, Micah Sandberg-Spieler, and Jennifer Nicklay