Prof Andrew D Cohen
Educational Background & Specialties
- bilingual and immersion education
- language and culture strategies for Study Abroad
- language assessment
- language learning and use strategies
- methods for teaching English as a Second Language (ESL)
- pragmatic ability with a focus on speech acts
- TESL 5610 - Research Methods in Applied Language Study
- TESL 5723 - Materials for Teaching ESL
- TESL 1905 - Freshman Seminar: Alternative Approaches to Becoming Comfortably Multilingual
- TESL 3501 - Practical Language Learning for International Communication
- TES 5724 - Introduction to Language Assessment
- LING 5505 - Introduction to Second Language Acquisition
Research & Professional Activities
- Plenary Speaker: December 4, 2003 - December 5, 2003
- Director: National Language Resource Center at the Center for Advanced Research on Language Acquisition, University of Minnesota
- Co-Presenter: November 20, 2003 - November 23, 2003
- Guest Seminar Leader: August 19, 2003 - August 22, 2003
- Co-Instructor: August 12, 2003 - August 16, 2003
- Visiting Professor, University of Auckland, New Zealand: Sabbatical leave in New Zealand, giving talks and teaching a course in the Dept. of Applied Language Studies & Linguistics. , July 4, 2004 - June 28, 2005
- Co-Principal Investigator with Thom Upton (Indiana U, Indianapolis): “Strategies in Responding to the New TOEFL Reading Tasks,“ from Educational Testing Service, August 2003 - August 2005
- Co-Principal Investigator with Michael Paige (CEHD/UMN): “Maximizing Study Abroad through Language and Culture Strategies,“ from the International Research and Studies Program (IRSP) grant from the U.S. Department of Education, Office of International Educa, September 2002 - August 2005
- Principal Investigator: “Learner Strategy Training in the Development of Pragmatic Ability," Research under the Language Resource Center Grant, September 2002 - August 2006
- Trumpet Player: 1991 - Present
- Co-Organizer: 1991 - Present
- A sociolinguistic approach to bilingual education. Cohen, Andrew, Newbury House, 1975.
- Language learning: Insights for learners, teachers, and researchers. Cohen, Andrew, Newbury House/HarperCollins, 1990.
- Strategies in learning and using a second language. Cohen, Andrew, Longman, 1998.
- Assessing language ability in the classroom. Cohen, Andrew, Newbury House/Heinle & Heinle, 1994.
- The learner’s side of foreign language learning: Where do styles, strategies, and tasks meet?: Cohen, Andrew, International Review of Applied Linguistics in Language Teaching, 41(4) 279-291, 2003.
- Studying speaking to inform second language learning. Cohen, Andrew, Boxer, B. & Cohen, A. D., Multilingual Matters, 2004.
- Maximizing study abroad: An instructors’ guide to strategies for language and culture learning and use. Cohen, Andrew, Cohen, A. D., Paige, R. M., Kappler, B., Demmessie, M., Weaver, S. J., Chi, J. C., & Lassegard, J. P., Center for Advanced Research on Language Acquisition (CARLA), University of Minnesota, 2003.
- Maximizing study abroad: A students' guide to strategies for language and culture learning and use. Cohen, Andrew, Paige, R. M., Cohen, A. D., Lassegard, J., Chi, J. C., & Kappler, B. J., Center for Advanced Research on Language Acquisition (CARLA), University of Minnesota, 2002.
- Creating a playworld: Motivating learners to take chances in a second language. Cohen, Andrew, Hamilton, H. E. & Cohen, A. D., Heinle & Heinle, 2004.
- Interfaces between second language acquisition and language testing research. Cohen, Andrew, Bachman, L. F. & Cohen, A. D., Cambridge University Press, none.
- Fulbright Lecturer/Researcher in Applied Linguistics to Brazil, 1986 - 1987
- CLA Scholar of the College, February 2002 - February 2005