Bruce T Downing
Educational Background & Specialties
- Ph.D.: linguistics, University of Texas, Austin, Texas, 1970.
- translation and interpreting
- language policy and planning
- English linguistics
- forensic linguistics
- Ling 5931 - Morphology and Syntax of Contemporary English
- Ling 5005 - Applications of Linguistics
- Ling 3707 - Ethnic Bilingualism in the United States
- Ling 1907W - What's In A Name? (Freshman Seminar)
- Ling 1701 - Language and Society
Research & Professional Activities
- Director: Program in Translation and Interpreting, College of Continuing Education , 2002
- Committee Member: Standards, Training & Certification Committee, National Council on Interpreting in Health Care , 2002
- Linguistics Consultant: National Coalition for Quality Translation in Health Care (Kaiser Permanente) , 2004
- Member: Linguistic Society of America , 1963
- Associate Member: American Translators Association , 1994
- Member: International Association of Forensic Linguists , 2003
- National Standards for Training of Health Care Interpreters: Development and vetting of standards, National Council on Interpreting in Health Care, funded by The California Endowment, October 2007
- Hennepin County Court Access for LEP Individuals: Interviews with persons requiring interpreter services in the courtroom; funded by Hennepin County, July 1, 1999 - July 31, 2000
- Effective Provider-Patient Communication Across Language Barriers: Review of current theory and practice in translation of health education materials, funded by Hablamos Juntos, July 2002 - December 2002
- Member, Scholars Network: Hablamos Juntos, a national project of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, 2002
- Member: Interpreting Stakeholder Group, Upper Midwest Translators & Interpreters Association, 2003
- Member, Steering Committee, Interpreting Services Work Group: organized by DHS, preparing mandated report to the Mn Legislature, July 2007 - January 2007
- Keynote speaker, Annual Conference of the Iowa Interpreters & Translators Association: Des Moines, IA, June, 2006
- Plenary Speaker: Upper Midwest Translators and Interpreters Association, November 6, 2004
- Models for the Provision of Language Access in Health Care Settings. Downing, Bruce, Cynthia Roat, National Council on Interpreting in Health Care (http://www.ncihc.org/papers.html), 2002.
- Community interpreting and translation in the U.S.A. context: Downing, Bruce, Universidad de Alcala de Henares, Spain, Nuevas Tendencias y Applicaciones de la Traduccion, Encuentos en torno a la Traduccion 3, 1998.
- Legal Interpreting on Trial: A Case Study: Downing, Bruce, Timothy Dunnigan, American Translators Association, Translation and the Law, 1995.
- The use of bilingual/bicultural workers as providers and interpreters: Downing, Bruce, International Migration (Special Issue: Migration and Health), 30 121-130, 1992.
- Professional Training for Community Interpreters. Downing, Bruce, Kate Helms Tillery, Minneapolis: Center for Urban and Regional Affairs, University of Minnesota, 1992.
- The Hmong in Transition. Downing, Bruce, Glenn L. Hendricks, Amos S. Deinard, Center for Migration Studies of New York and CURA, University of Minnesota, Co-Editor, 1986.
- 2007 CCE Distinguished Teaching Award, October 2007
- Award for "dedication to the betterment of the translation and interpreting professions" from the Upper Midwest Translators & Interpreters Association, 2007
- Outstanding Community Service Award, University of Minnesota, 2000
- Refugee Community Service Award, Minnesota Department of Human Services, 1991
- Award "in gratitude for friendship and academic research on behalf of the Hmong," Lao Family Community of Minnesota, Inc., 1985