Megan L Buchanan
Educational Background & Specialties
- M.S.: Geography, University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, Alabama, 2011.
- B.S.: Geography, University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, Alabama, 2009.
- forest development and succession, stand dynamics, disturbance ecology, natural resource management, biogeography, dendroecology
- GEOG3401 Geography of Environmental Systems and Global Change (Spring 2014)
Research & Professional Activities
- Justin L. Hart and Megan L. Buchanan. 2012. Forest restoration: the importance of place-based ecological histories. Forest Wisdom 19 (Forest Guild national publication). :
- Hart, J.L., Buchanan, M.L., and Cox, L.E. In Press. Has forest restoration been freed from the bonds of history? Journal of Forestry (invited response to Hanberry et al. 2015).
- Hart, J.L., Buchanan, M.L., and Cox, L.E. 2015. Is forest restoration an end unto itself or a means to an end? Journal of Forestry 113: 266-267.
- Cowden, M.M., Hart, J.L., and Buchanan, M.L. 2014. Canopy accession strategies and climate responses for three Carya species common in the Eastern Deciduous Forest. Trees-Structure and Function 28: 223-235.
- McNab, W.H., Spetich, M.A., Perry, R.W., Haywood, J.D., Gull-Laird, S., Clark, S.L., Hart, J.L., Torreano, S.J., Buchanan, M.L. (in press). Climate induced migration of native tree populations and consequences for forest composition. In: Vose, J.M. and Klepzig, K. (Eds.), Climate change adaptation and mitigation management options: A guide for natural resource managers in southern forest ecosystems. CRC Press, Boca Raton, Florida.
- Justin L. Hart and Megan L. Buchanan. 2012. History of fire in eastern oak forests and implications for restoration, pp. 34–51. In Dey, D.C. (Ed.), Proceedings of the 4th Fire in Eastern Oak Forests Conference, GTR-NRS-P-102, USDA Forest Service.
- Justin L. Hart, Megan L. Buchanan, Stacy L. Clark, and Scott J. Torreano. 2012. Canopy accession strategies and climate-growth relationships in Acer rubrum. Forest Ecology and Management 282: 124–132.
- Megan L. Buchanan and Justin L. Hart. 2012. Canopy disturbance history of old-growth Quercus alba sites in the eastern United States: examination of long-term trends and broad-scale patterns. Forest Ecology and Management 267: 28–39.
- Justin L. Hart, Stacy L. Clark, Scott J. Torreano, and Megan L. Buchanan. 2012. Vegetation patterns and dendroecology of an old-growth Quercus forest on the tablelands of the Cumberland Plateau, USA. Forest Ecology and Management 266: 11–24.
- Megan L. Buchanan and Justin L. Hart. 2011. A methodological analysis of canopy disturbance reconstructions using Quercus alba. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 41: 1359–1367.