Arlene E Carney
Speech Language Hearing Sciences
164 Pillsbury Drive SE
Educational Background & Specialties
- B.S.: Speech & Theater Education, St. John's University, Queens, NY, 1969.
- M.A.: Audiology, University of Massachusetts, 1973.
- Ph.D.: Speech & Hearing Sciences, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, 1977.
- children with hearing loss
- development of speech perception and speech production skills
- rehabilitative audiology
- SLHS 4801 Hearing Measurement and Disorders
- SLHS 4802 - Rehabilitative Audiology
- SLHS 5803 - Hearing Loss in Children: Diagnosis
- SLHS 5804 Cochlear Implants
- SLHS 5805 Advanced Rehabilitative Audiology
- SLHS 3402 Major Project in SLHS
Research & Professional Activities
- Vice Provost for Faculty and Academic Affairs: June, 2005 - June, 2014
- Associate Dean for Academic Programs, College of Liberal Arts, University of Minnesota: 2002 - 2005
- Chair, Department of Communication Disorders, University of Minnesota: 1999 - 2002
- Chair, Council for Enhancing Student Learning: 2002 - 2004
- Chair, CLA Budget Advisory Committee, College of Liberal Arts, University of Minnesota: 2001 - 2002
- Affiliate Member, Center for Cognitive Studies, University of Minnesota: 2002 - present
- Member, Social Science Committee, Institutional Review Board: 2001 - 2002
- Section Editor, Cochlear Implants, Ear and Hearing: 2001 - 2002
- Editor for Hearing, Journal of Speech and Hearing Research: 1993 - 1995
- Chair: ASHA Board of Ethics , January, 2016 - present
- Rachael Frush Holt & Arlene Earley Carney (2007). Developmental effects of multiple looks on speech sound discrimination. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, 50, 1404-1424.
- Rachael Frush Holt and Arlene Earley Carney (2005). Multiple looks in speech sound discrimination in adults. Journal of Speech, Language, Hearing Research, 48, 922-943.
- Maureen B. Higgins, Elizabeth McCleary, Dana Ide-Helvie, and Arlene Earley Carney (2005). Speech and voice physiology of children who are hard of hearing.. Ear and Hearing, 26, 546-558.
- Elizabeth Collison, Ben Munson, & Arlene Earley Carney (2004). Relationships among vocabulary size, nonverbal cognition, and spoken word recognition in adults with cochlear implants. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, 47, 496-508.
- K.M. Cienkowski & A. E. Carney (2004). The integration of auditory-visual information for speech in older adults. Journal of Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology. (pp 166-172).
- M.B. Higgins, E.A. McCleary, A. E. Carney & L. Schulte (2003). Longitudinal changes in children's speech and voice physiology after cochlear implantation. Ear and Hearing,
- P.B. Nelson, S. Jin, A. E. Carney & D.A. Nelson (2003). Understanding speech in modulated interference: Cochlear implant users and normal-hearing listeners. Journal of Acoustical Society of America, 113, 961-968.
- K.M. Cienkowski & A. E. Carney (2002). Auditory-visual speech perception and aging. Ear and Hearing, 23, 439-450.
- Honors of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, November, 2015
- Fellow, Acoustical Society of America, 1998
- Fellow, American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, 1994
- Editor's Award, Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, 2004
- Member, National Advisory Council of National Institutes of Health, Nation Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders, 1994 - 1997