Kathleen A Hansen
Hubbard School of Journalism and Mass Communication
206 Church St SE
225 Murphy Hall
Educational Background & Specialties
- M.A.: English, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI, 1979.
- M.L.S.: Library and Information Science, University of Wisconsin, Madison, 1977.
- preservation of digital and print news archives
- serious games in news
- information access and communication
- sociology of news
- uses and effects of digital information technologies
- Jour 1001 and Jour 1001H Introduction to Mass Communication
- Jour 3004W and 3004V - Information for Mass Communication
Research & Professional Activities
- Director of Undergraduate Studies: September 2010 - December 2015
- Supervisor, Digital Information Resource Center:
- Reinventing Newspapers: Grant to provide education and training for newspaper editorial and sales staff and managers at major metropolitan newspapers in MN; supported by a grant from the Minnesota Job Skills Partnership program; grant total from all sources is $700,000, March 2009 - June 2010
- Playing the News: Designing, building and testing news games; funded by a $230,000 grant from the Knight News Challenge program, 2007 - 2009
- MinnPost: Board of Directors, 2008 - ongoing
- Educating Journalism Students About News Archives: A Global Comparison With Special Focus on Spain and the United States: Hansen, Kathleen, Ruben Dominguez-Delgado, Nora Paul, Journalism & Mass Communication Educator, Online first , 2017. Link
- Future-Proofing the News: Preserving the First Draft of History. Hansen, Kathleen, Nora Paul, Rowman & Littlefield, Author, 2017. Link
- Losing the News: Hansen, Kathleen, Nora Paul, Online Searcher, Vo. 41, No. 5 , Sept/Oct 2017. Link
- Information Strategies for Communicators. Hansen, Kathleen, Nora Paul, Author, 2015 and updated con. Link
- Archiving and Preserving News in the Digital Age, Special Issue: Hansen, Kathleen, Nora Paul, Newspaper Research Journal, 36 3, Summer 2015.
- Social media's influence on sports journalists' perception of gatekeeping: Hansen, Kathleen, Sada Reed, International Journal of Sport Communication, 6 373-383, December 2013.
- Challenges for Human Information-Seeking Research in the Emerging Communication Environment: Hansen, Kathleen, Nora Paul, Web Journal of Mass Communication Research, 44 , June 2013. Link
- Communication managers in the dominant coalition: Power attributes and communication practices: Hansen, Kathleen, Stacey Frank Kanihan, Sara Blair, Marta Shore, Jun Myers, Journal of Communication Management, 17(2) 140-156, 2013.
- Newspaper Training Program Shows Gains in Social Media: Hansen, Kathleen, Nora Paul, Ruth DeFoster, Jennifer E. Moore, Newspaper Research Journal, 32(3) 40-51, Summer 2011.
- Curation Questions and the Start of Some Answers: Hansen, Kathleen, Nora Paul, Yoshi Suzuki, OJR: The Online Journalism Review, February 6, 2011. Link
- News-Focused Game Playing: Is It a Good Way to Engage People in an Issue?: Hansen, Kathleen, Nora Paul, Nieman Reports, 64(2) 54-57, Summer 2010. Link
- Computer-Assisted Research: Information Strategies and Tools for Journalists. Hansen, Kathleen, Nora Paul, Investigative Reporters and Editors, Author, 2007.
- Newspapers of Record in a Digital Age. Hansen, Kathleen, Shannon Martin, Praeger, Author, 1998.
- Distinguished Alumni Achievement Award, University of Wisconsin-Parkside, 1976 Graduate - 2017
- John Tate Advising Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Advising, University of Minnesota, 2014
- Pioneer Award for Outstanding Contributions to High Shool Journalism Programs and Publications; National Scholastic Press Association, 2008
- Special Libraries Association David Rhydwen Award for Outstanding Contributions to News Librarianship, Inaugural recipient - 2005
- Society of Professional Journalists President's Award, 2003