Lena C Gutekunst Palacios
- Communication Studies
- American Studies
- African American & African Studies
- Gender, Women, and Sexuality Studies
- Graduate School: Interdisciplinary Center for the Study of Global Change (ICGC)
- Liberal Arts: Race, Indigeneity, Gender, and Sexuality (RIGS) Initiative
- Humphrey Institute of Public Affairs: Center on Women, Gender, and Public Policy
Educational Background & Specialties
- Post-Doctoral Fellow: Interdisciplinary Research Training in Child and Adolescent Primary Care (IRT-CAPC) Program, Division of General, Pediatrics & Adolescent Health, Department of Pediatrics, University of Minnesota School of Medicine, Minnesota , 2016-2017.
- Program Fellow: Health Equity Leadership and Mentoring (HELM), Program in Health Disparities Research, University of Minnesota Medical School, 2015-2016.
- Postdoctoral Researcher/Visiting Scholar: Public Science Project and Critical Social/Personality Psychology, The Graduate Center of the City University of New York, New York, NY, 2015.
- Ph.D.: Educational Studies and Communication Studies with Graduate Option in Gender and Women’s Studies, McGill University , Montreal, QC, 2014.
- M.A.: Cultural Studies, University of California Davis, Davis, CA, 2002.
- B.A.: American Studies and Community Development, University of California Davis, Davis, CA, 2000.
- Critical carceral studies and abolitionist feminisms
- Transformative justice and community accountability
- Racialized, gendered, and sexualized violence within carceral, settler states
- Black, Indigenous, Chicana & Latina queer and trans feminisms
- Girls’ and girlhood studies
- Research justice and critical participatory action research
- Media justice and social movement media
- Critical disability studies
- Health justice and structural determinants of health
- GWSS 1913 - Ending Sexual Violence at the University of Minnesota (Freshman Seminar)
- GWSS 3505 - Women and the Law (Topic: Feminist Legal Responses to Sexual and State Violence)
- GWSS 8260 – Seminar: Race, Representation & Resistance (Topic: Prison Abolitionist Feminisms)
- AFRO/GWSS 3402 - Pleasure, Intimacy, and Violence (Topic: Black Feminist Anti-violence Resistance)
- GWSS 3505WV - Honors and Writing Intensive: Girls, Girlhoods, and Resistance
- GWSS 1005 - Engaging Justice (Topic: Women, Gender Non-Conforming, and Trans People of Color Against Violence)
- GWSS 5290 - Topics: Biology, Health, and Environmental Studies (Topic: Health Violence and the State)
- BTHX 5000 - Topics in Bioethics (Topic: Health Violence and the State)
- GWSS 4002 - Politics of Engagement and Social Justice
- GWSS 8210 - Seminar: Feminist Theory and Praxis (Topic: Activist Scholarship and the Neoliberal University)
- GWSS 3002V - Honors: Gender, Race and Class in the U.S. (Topic: Girls, Girlhoods, and Resistance)
- GWSS 3002W - Writing Intensive: Gender, Race and Class in the U.S. (Topic: Girls, Girlhoods, and Resistance)
- CHIC 5920 - Topics in Chicana/o Studies: Chicanas/os-Latinas/os, Police Violence & Mass Incarceration
- CHIC 3900 - Topics in Chicana/o Studies: Chicanas/os-Latinas/os, Police Violence & Mass Incarceration
Research & Professional Activities
- Criminal Justice Curator for the Gender Policy Report: Center on Women, Gender and Public Policy, Humphrey School of Public Affairs University of Minnesota, 2017 - current
- Health Justice Researcher: Health Justice Research Circle, Race, Indigeneity, Gender, and Sexuality (RIGS) Initiative, 2016 - 2017
- Postdoctoral Fellow: Interdisciplinary Research Training in Child and Adolescent Primary Care Program, Division of General, Pediatrics & Adolescent Health, Department of Pediatrics, University of Minnesota School of Medicine, 2016 - 2017
- Faculty Adviser: College of Liberal Arts (CLA) Dean’s Freshman Research and Creative Awards Program, 2015 - current
- Program Fellow: Health Equity Leadership and Mentoring (HELM), Program in Health Disparities Research, University of Minnesota Medical School, 2015 - 2016
- Sexual Assault Reporting and Emotional Distress Among College Female-Identified Victims/Survivors: Gutekunst Palacios, Lena, Marla E Eisenberg, Katherine Lust, Carolyn M Porta, International Association of Forensic Nurses, Journal of Forensic Nursing, 15 222-230, 2019. Link
- Reimagining Girlhood in White Settler-Carceral States (Guest Editorial): Gutekunst Palacios, Lena, Sandrina de Finney and Patricia Kruger-Henney, Berghahn Books, Girlhood Studies: An Interdisciplinary Journal, 12 , 2019. Link
- Resurgent Interruptions: Girls in Settler and Carceral States (Special Issue). Gutekunst Palacios, Lena, Sandrina de Finney and Patricia Kruger-Henney, Berghahn Books, Co-Editor, 2019. Link
- 'Take the Red Pill of Media Justice': Third World Majority and Media Justice Activism: Gutekunst Palacios, Lena, Kara Keeling and Thenmozhi Soundararajan, The Alliance for Networking Visual Culture (Scalar), From Third Cinema to Media Justice: Third World Majority and the Promise of Third Cinema, 2019. Link
- Facilitating Participatory Processes that Amplify Youth Voice and Action in Clinical Care Delivery and Research: Gutekunst Palacios, Lena, Michele Allen, Springer , Promoting Health Equity Among Racially and Ethnically Diverse Adolescents: A Practical Guide, 85-98, 2018. Link
- Refusing Band-Aids: Unsettling ‘Care’ Under the Carceral Settler State: Gutekunst Palacios, Lena, Sandrina de Finney and Mandeep Kaur Mucina, E-journal of the International Child and Youth Care Network (CYC-Net), Special Issue: Radical Youth Work 28-39, 2018. Link
- The Underrepresentation Of Latinx Faculty And The Future Of Higher Education: Gutekunst Palacios, Lena, Louis Mendoza, Nancy Raquel Mirabal, William Yslas Vélez, and Yolanda Martinez-San Miguel , Latinx Talk, 2018. Link
- Mandatory Reporting Policies Protect Universities, Not Survivors: Gutekunst Palacios, Lena, Rose Miron, The Gender Policy Report, Sexual Misconduct on Campus Series , 2018. Link
- The Prison Rape Elimination Act and the Limits of Liberal Reform: Gutekunst Palacios, Lena, The Gender Policy Report, 2017. Link
- Gutekunst Palacios, Lena Carla. "Challenging Convictions: Indigenous and Black Race-Radical Feminists Theorizing the Carceral State and Abolitionist Praxis in the United States and Canada." Meridians 15 (2016): 137-165.
- Gutekunst Palacios, Lena Carla. "Killing Abstractions: Indigenous Women and Black Trans Girls Challenging Media Necropower in White Settler States." Critical Ethnic Studies 2.2 (Fall 2016): 35-60.
- Gutekunst Palacios, Lena Carla. "'Something Else to Be': A Chicana Survivor’s Journey from Vigilante Justice to Transformative Justice." philoSOPHIA A Journal of Continental Feminism 6.1 (2016): 93-108.
- Gutekunst Palacios, Lena Carla. "‘Ain't no justice...It's just us’: Girls Organizing against Interpersonal and Institutional Violence." Girlhood Studies and the Politics of Place: Contemporary paradigms for research (2016): 279-295.
- Gutekunst Palacios, Lena Carla. "“'With Immediate Cause': Intense Dreaming as World-making"." Journal of Abolition (2016): Link
- Gutekunst Palacios, Lena Carla. "Racialized and Gendered Necropower in Canadian News and Legal Discourse." Feminist Formations 26.1 (2014): 1-26.
- Gutekunst Palacios, Lena Carla, Ilyan Ferrer, Rosalind Hampton, Elma Moses, and Edward Lee. "Learning in Social Action: Students of Color and the Québec Student Movement." Journal of Curriculum Theorizing 29.2 (2013): 6-25.
- Gutekunst Palacios, Lena Carla, E.-J. Milne, Claudia Mitchell and Naydene De Lange. "(Re) framing the scholarship on participatory video : from celebration to critical engagement." Handbook of Participatory Video (2012): 49–64.
- Gutekunst Palacios, Lena Carla. "From the Arab Spring to the Maple Spring: National Student Protests Graduate to Transnational Social Movements." TOPIA: Canadian Journal of Cultural Studies 28 (2012): 268-275.
- Gutekunst Palacios, Lena Carla. "'Smile Now, Cry Later': Chicana and Mexicana Homegirls Trespassing/ Reinforcing Linguistic, Gendered, and Political Borders." Girlhood Studies 3:2 (2010): 149-159.
- Woodrow Wilson Career Enhancement Fellowship, June 2018 - January 2019
- Insitute for Advanced Study Residential Fellowship (UMN, Twin Cities), August 2017 - January 2018
- U of Minnesota Grant-in-Aid, 2016 - 2018
- IDEA Multicultural Research Award, University of Minnesota, 2016 - 2017
- Imagine Fund Annual Faculty Award, 2016 - 2017
- Imagine Fund Special Event Award, 2016 - 2017
- Barnard Center for Research on Women Library Research Award, 2016 - 2017