Carl P Malmquist
Educational Background & Specialties
- MS: Philosophy of Science, University of Minnesota , 1961.
- M.D.: University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, 1958.
- B.A: Economics, University of Minnesota, College of Science, Literature and Arts. , Minneapolis, MN, 1952.
- Juvenile Justice
- Law and Society
- Law and the Mental Health System
- Soc 4142 - Juvenile Law
- Soc 4148 - Criminal Psychopathology
- Soc 4149 - Killing
- Soc 8148 - Law, Society & Mental Health System
Research & Professional Activities
- Psychiatric Consultant, District Court in Hennepin County: Consultant to judges on cases , 1970 - 2000
- Depression and Its Relationship to Violence; Characteristics of Juveniles Who Commit Paracides; Infanticide and Comparative Legal Issues Post-Termination Relationships with Professionals; Borderline Personality Disorders: A High-Risk Group for Violence
- Consultant: to courts, agencies, and law enforcement about the problems of risk assessment, and violent individuals,
- Consultant work on issues involving mental health and legal issues: This work involves consultation with various organizations varying from the federal courts, state courts, law offices, prosecutors or the defense,
- "Infanticide," 2017. Pp. 180-196 in The Handbook of Homicide. Edited by Fiona Brookman, Edward R. Maguire, and Mike Maguire. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- "Infanticide/Neonaticide: The Outlier Situation in the United States." 2013. Aggression and Violent Behavior 18(3):399-408.
- "Combined Murder-Suicide." 2012. Pp. 501-513 in Textbook of Suicide Assessment and Management, 2nd Edition. Edited by Robert I. Simon and Robert E. Hales. Washington, D.C.: American Psychiatric Publishing, Inc.
- "Forensic Psychiatry: Vintage 1926 Karpman to the Present." 2012. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease 200(2):126-129.
- "A Look at the Ethical, Legal, and Clinical Issues Associated with Information Technology," with Linda M. Jorgenson, Malkah Notman, and Elissa Benedek. 2011. Psychiatric Times 28:29-31.
- "Adolescent Parricide as a Clinical and Legal Problem." 2010. Journal of the American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law 38(1):73-79.
- "School Violence." 2008. Pp. 537-554 in Textbook of Violence Assessment and Management. Edited by Robert I. Simon and Kenneth Tardiff. Arlington, VA: American Psychiatric Publishing, Inc.
- "Combined Murder-Suicide." 2006. Pp. 495-510 in Textbook of Suicide Assessment and Management, 1st Edition. Edited by Robert I. Simon and Robert E. Hales. Washington, D.C.: American Psychiatric Publishing, Inc.
- Homicide: A Psychiatric Perspective, 2nd Edition. 2006. Washington, D.C.: American Psychiatric Publishing, Inc.
- "Juveniles and the Adult Criminal Justice System." 2002. Pp. 489-494 in Textbook of Adolescent Psychiatry. Edited by Richard Ratner and Richard Rosner. London: Arnold Press.
- Albert Nelson Marquist Lifetime Achievement Award, 2017
- APA Isaac Ray Award, 2011
- Golden Apple Award of the American Academy of Psychiatry & Law
- Manfred Guttmacher Award, 2007
- American Psychological Association Guttmacher Award, 2006