Laura M Matson
Educational Background & Specialties
- PhD: Geography, Environment & Society, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, 2018.
- JD: University of Minnesota Law School, 2014.
- MS: Violence, Conflict, and Development, School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), London, U.K. , 2009.
- BA: Sarah Lawrence College, Bronxville, NY, 2006.
- Legal & Political Geography, Jurisdiction, Political Ecology, Indigenous Resource Management, North American & International Courts
- Geog 1502: Mapping Our World, Instructor
- Geog 3381: Population in an Interacting World, TA
- Geog 1372: Geography of Global Cities, TA
- Geog 3374: The City in Film, TA
- Web Mapping Tools and Pedagogical Material to Support Spatial Thinking: Matson, Laura, S.M. Manson, M. Kernik, D. Bonsal, E. DeLuca, A. Srinivasamohan, and S. Strosberg, University of Minnesota Libraries Publishing, Innovative Learning and Teaching Experiments Across the Disciplines, 124-136, 2017. Link
- Treaties & Territory: Resource Struggles and the Legal Foundations of the U.S./American Indian Relationship: Matson, Laura, River Life Center, Open Rivers: Rethinking the Mississippi, 5 , 2017.
- Resource Needs and Pedagogical Value of Web Mapping for Spatial Thinking: Matson, Laura, S.M. Manson, J. Shannon, S. Eria, L. Kne, K. R. Dyke, S. Nelson, L. Batra, D. Bonsal, M. Kernik, J. L. Immich, Journal of Geography, 113 107, 2014.
- Competing Land Rights, Legal Redress, and Political Settlement in Cyprus: Matson, Laura, Law & Inequality: A Journal of Theory and Practice, 31 199, 2012.
- University of Minnesota Graduate School, Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship, 2017 - 2018
- Philanthropic Educational Organization Scholar Award , 2017 - 2018
- University of Minnesota Interdisciplinary Doctoral Fellowship, 2016 - 2017
- Research Travel Grant, Department of Geography, Environment and Society, University of Minnesota, 2016
- University of Minnesota Award for Innovation in Technology Enhanced Learning, 2015 - 2016
- University of Minnesota Libraries Partnership for Affordable Content Grant, 2015 - 2016
- Upper Midwest Human Rights Fellowship, 2015
- Summer Research Fellowship, Department of Geography, Environment and Society, University of Minnesota, 2015
- Human Rights Law Award, 2014
- Social Science Research Council Dissertation Proposal Development Fellowship, 2013
- Summer Research Fellowship, Department of Geography, Environment and Society, University of Minnesota, 2013
- Upper Midwest Human Rights Fellowship, 2012