Ms Kalani Michell
Educational Background & Specialties
- Ph.D.: Germanic Studies and minor in Moving Image Studies, University of Minnesota, 2017.
- M.A.: Germanic Studies, University of Minnesota, 2010.
- B.A.: German Studies and International Affairs, University of Nevada, Reno, 2006.
- German studies
- cinema and media studies
- media theory
- contemporary art
- performance art
- The Largest German Comics Archive Is in Our Basement (primary instructor at the Goethe University, Frankfurt)
- Wer forscht, weiß es noch nicht: Experimentieren in der Kunst- und Mediengeschichte (primary instructor at the Goethe University, Frankfurt)
- Understanding Art and Media Institutions (primary instructor for graduate course at the Goethe University, Frankfurt)
- Wo Medien sind: Theorien der Medienerweiterung (primary instructor for graduate course at the Goethe University, Frankfurt)
- Zeitschriften als Ausstellungsorte (primary instructor at the Goethe University, Frankfurt)
- Performance through Media Studies (primary instructor at the Goethe University, Frankfurt)
- The World According to Disney and Pixar (TA for graduate course at the Humboldt University, Berlin)
- Transatlantic Symposium: Borders in Transit (TA for graduate course at the Humboldt University, Berlin)
- German 3512: German Civilization and Culture from 1700 to Present (teaching assistant)
- German 3011: Conversation and Composition (primary instructor)
- German 1004: Intermediate German (primary instructor)
- German 1003: Intermediate German (primary instructor)
- German 1002: Beginning German (primary instructor)
- German 1001: Beginning German (primary instructor)
Research & Professional Activities
- “What You Find in a Frankfurt Basement: The Largest German Comics Archive.” German Studies Association Annual Conference. Panel on “The Politics of Academia, Scholarship, and the University: Germanness, Europeanism, and Internationalism” Atlanta, Georgia: September 2017.:
- “Films, Formulas and Photo Albums: American and German Magazines of the 1960s.” German Studies Association Annual Conference. Panel on “Adaptation and Influence: Germany and the U.S.” San Diego, California: September 2016.
- “The Expansion of Art and Cinema in Magazines." Society for Cinema & Media Studies Annual Conference. Montreal, Canada: March 2015.
- "Taking Down Pictures: 'Joseph Beuys – Unveröffentlichte Fotografien von Manfred Tischer.'" German Studies Association Annual Conference. Panel on “Copyrights, Copycats, and Cross-references in Modern Culture.” Kansas City, Missouri: September 2014.
- "Toeing the Line in an Artist’s Game." Society for Cinema and Media Studies Annual Conference. Panel on "Playing with Avatars." Seattle, Washington: March 2014.
- "Expanded Cinema at 'VALIE EXPORT / Archive.'" Center for Austrian Studies at the University of Minnesota. Minneapolis: February 2014.
- "A Question of Where, not What: VALIE EXPORT’s Expanded Cinema." Annual Convention der Österreich-Zentren. Leiden, Netherlands: October 2013.
- "Seeing Crisis in Harry Piel's 'Ein Unsichtbarer geht durch die Stadt' (1933)." German Studies Association Annual Conference. Panel series on "Cinema of Crisis: German Film 1928-1936." Denver, Colorado: October 2013.
- “Expanding Pictures, Taking Down Pictures.” Annual Postgraduate Study Day on “Expanded Cinema” at the University of St. Andrews. Panel on “Interactive Platforms, Narrative Structures and Perishable Archives.” St. Andrews, Scotland: April 2013.
- "Petzold and Hochhäusler between Word and Image: Comics and the 'Berlin School.'" Guest lecture at the Goethe-Universität Frankfurt. Bachelor seminar on "Lesen mit der Kamera" at the Institut für Theater-, Film- und Medienwissenschaft. Frankfurt, Germany: January 2013.
- "In Line with Foucault." Conference on "Michel Foucault und die Ideengeschichte. Zur Archäologie der Wissensgeschichte" at the Marburger Graduiertenzentrum für Geistes- und Sozialwissenschaften. Marburg, Germany: November 2012.
- "Petzold's Comic Storyboard Constructions." German Studies Association Annual Conference. Panel on "Christian Petzold and the Berlin School." Milwaukee, Wisconsin: October 2012.
- "A Fly on the Wall of Set Design." 17th International Bremen Film Conference on "What is Cinema? Selection, Screening, Experience." Bremen, Germany: January 2012.
- "Sounds of the Berlin School." Modern Language Association, collaborative session sponsored by the Film Division and the Division for 20th and 21st-Century German Literature on "Post-National Readings of the Audio-Visual." Seattle, Washington: January 2012.
- "Three-Plus Ways of Reanimating Ink." Conference on "Re-Animationen," Jahrestagung des DFG-Graduiertenkollegs, Mediale Historiographien. Weimar, Germany: February 2011.
- Dissertation: "All in the Same Box: Unhinging Audiovisual Media in the 1960s"
- Faculty coordinator for participation in the International Short Film Festival Oberhausen for MA students at the Goethe University, Frankfurt: 2016 - 2017.
- Moderator at "blicke: Filmfestival des Ruhrgebiets." Panel on the expanded cinema installation "Im Zwielicht der Villa Buxley." Bochum: November 2015.
- Participant in the workshop “Tracing Choreography: On the Corporeal, Terminological and Digital Analysis of Theater, Dance and Performance Art.” Organized by the Department of Theater, Goethe University, Frankfurt: October 2015.
- Participant in the Alumni Conference Meeting of the Centers for Austrian Studies. Vienna: October 2015.
- Second representative for mid-level faculty (Mittelbauvertreterin) at the Institute for Theater, Film and Media Studies at the Goethe University, Frankfurt: 2015 - present.
- Moderator at the conference “Critical Theory, Film and Media: Where is ‘Frankfurt’ now?” organized by the Institute for Theater, Film and Media Studies at the Goethe University, Frankfurt: August 2014.
- Participant in the Oberhausen Seminar (“Exploring Contemporary Artists’ Moving Image Practice”) at the International Short Film Festival Oberhausen: May 2014.
- Coordination and planning for the ongoing media studies lecture series “The Next Big Thing” at the Goethe University, Frankfurt: Introduction and moderation of lectures by Kevin B. Lee and Thomas Heise (selection), 2014 - present.
- Second examiner/advisor (“Zweitgutachter”) for BA and MA theses in Media Studies at the Goethe University, Frankfurt: 2014 - present.
- Member of various committees at the Institute for Theater, Film and Media Studies, Goethe University, Frankfurt: the selection committee for MA students, the search committee for a Professor in Media Culture and the departmental website design committee (selection), 2014-present
- Departmental Colloquium co-organizer: 2010 - 2012.
- Biennial Graduate Student Conference co-organizer: 2010 - 2012.
- Mears Fellow: Promoting the study of German at primary and secondary schools in Minnesota, 2010 - 2011.
- Graduate Student Representative: 2010 - 2011.
- Graduate Student Recruitment co-organizer: 2009 - 2012.
- “Comic Storyboardkonstruktionen. Petzolds Angriffsflächen,” in Storyboarding: Bild – Text – Bewegung, eds. Jan Henschen and Anna Häusler, Marburg: Schüren, 2017, 127-147.
- "Seeing Crisis in Harry Piel’s Ein Unsichtbarer geht durch die Stadt (1933)," in Continuity and Crisis in German Cinema 1928 – 1936, eds. Valerie Weinstein, Mihaela Petrescu and Barbara Hales, Rochester: Camden House, 2016, 251-269.
- "Animierte Bildkulissen." Rev. of Curtains (2014) by Lucy Raven at the Frankfurter Portikus, in Texte zur Kunst 97 ("Bohème"), Berlin: Texte zur Kunst Verlag (March 2015), 183-186.
- "Barluschke: Toward an East West Schizo-History," in East, West and Centre: Reframing Post-1989 European Cinema, eds. Michael Gott and Todd Herzog, Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 2015, 253-266.
- "I Know It When I See It: Mona Lisa on the Move," in CineAction 91 (“Film+Art”), Toronto: CineAction Collective (September 2013), 50-57.
- "Anstehen mit Foucault," in kultuRRevolution – Zeitschrift für angewandte Diskurstheorie 64 ("Foucault und/oder Ideengeschichte"), Essen: klartext (June 2013), 58-68.
- "Drei (und mehr) Arten, Tinte ans Laufen zu kriegen," in Re-Animationen: Szenen des Auf- und Ablebens in Kunst, Literatur und Geschichtsschreibung, eds. Ulrike Hanstein, Anika Höppner and Jana Mangold, Köln/Weimar: Böhlau Verlag, 2012, 281-310.
- Rev. of New Austrian Cinema, eds. Robert von Dassanowsky and Oliver C. Speck, in Austrian Studies Newsletter 23.2 (Fall 2011), 17-18.
- Fulbright Grant for Research in Germany, 2014 - 2015
- Harold Leonard Memorial Fellowship in Film Study, 2013 - 2014
- Center for Austrian Studies Summer Research Fellowship, May 2013 - August 2013
- College of Liberal Arts Dissertation Research Grant, 2013
- Gerhard Weiss Fellowship in German Studies, May 2011 - August 2011
- Hella Lindemeyer Mears Fellowship, 2010 - 2011
- Graduate Research Partnership Program, May 2010 - August 2010
- Center for German and European Studies Grant (for the Leo Baeck Summer University in Berlin), July 2009 - August 2009
- Max Kade Fellowship, 2008 - 2009