Christina D Michelon
Educational Background & Specialties
- BFA: Art History, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign.
- MA: Art History, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities.
- PhD: Art History, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, (expected 2018).
- American art, visual and material culture
- Print culture and ephemera
- American and British interiors
- American craft
- The Printed Image and Its Many Forms (Instructor of Record)
- American Art (Reader/Grader)
- Photo Nation: Photography in America (Reader/Grader)
- The Age of Curiosity: Art, Science and Technology in Europe, 1400-1800 (Section Instructor)
- Introduction to Art History (Section Instructor)
- Art of the Film (Section Instructor)
Research & Professional Activities
- Co-curator: The Print Room (exhibition), Haggerty Museum of Art, Milwaukee, WI, with the Chipstone Foundation, January 2014 - August 2014
- Attingham Summer School, July 2014
- Whistler Object Study Workshop, Freer Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, June 2014
- Technologies of Turning: An Exploration of Making and Meaning (workshop), Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, May 2014
- “Charles Sheeler’s ‘Power’ and Fortune, 1940,” Southeastern College Art Conference , November 2013
- Domestic Impressions: The Visual and Material Culture of the American Family Home, 1750-1890 (workshop), American Antiquarian Society, Worcester, MA, July 2013
- Co-curator: The House We Built: Feminist Art Then & Now (exhibition), T.R. Anderson Gallery at the University of Minnesota, Spring 2013
- “Fans of A Harlot’s Progress and the Commodification of Hogarthian Motifs,” The Art Institute of Chicago, Public Lecture , Fall 2012
- Member: College Art Association , 2010 - present
- "Interior Impressions: Printed Material in the Nineteenth-Century American Home": Dissertation in Progress 2018 (expected)
- Symposium Coordinator: Experiencing Mass Images, April 2015
- “Punched, Gouged, Engraved: Carving and Cartography at the Read House,” in New Stories from Old Things: Alternate Histories of the Read House and Gardens, Michele Anstine and Lu Ann DeCunzo, eds., University of Delaware Press. (Forthcoming)
- "Touching Sentiment: The Tactility of Nineteenth-Century Valentines." Common-Place: The Journal of Early American Life. 16.2 (Winter 2016). Link
- "American Painters on Technique: The Colonial Period to 1860 by Lance Mayer and Gay Myers," Nineteenth-Century Art Worldwide, 12.1 (Spring 2013).
- Sarah Anne Carter and Christina Michelon, “The Print Room,”Ceramic Review, 267 (May/June 2014): 16-17.
- Michelon, Christina D. "The Riva, No. 2." Fine Impressions: Whistler, Freer, and Venice (2014): Link
- CIC-Smithsonian Predoctoral Fellow, Smithsonian American Art Museum/National Museum of American History, 2016 - 2017
- American Antiquarian Society Short-Term Research Fellowship, June 2016
- Winterthur Short-Term Research Fellowship, 2014
- Attingham Summer School Scholarship , July 2014
- Charles Hummel Fellowship, The Chipstone Foundation, 2013
- Evans Scholarship, University of Illinois, 2007 - 2011