John K Munholland
Educational Background & Specialties
- aging in France, 1880-1930
- French imperialism
- late 19th- and 20th-century French social and political history
- modern European history
- wine industry under the Vichy regime
- Hist 3721 - 20th-Century Europe From the Turn of the Century to the End of World War II: 1900-1945
- Hist 3731W - Citizens and the State in Modern France From the Revolution of 1789 to Post-de Gaulle: 1789-1991
Research & Professional Activities
- Editorial Board, French Historical Studies: 1971 - 1974
- Editorial Board, French Historical Studies: 1990 - 1993
- Editorial Board, French Colonial History: 2002 - present
- Art History, Conference on "Montmartre and the Making of Mass Culture," Minneapolis Institute of Arts: 1999
- Organizer and Presenter of panel "Wine and Identity in the 20th Century," 49th Annual Meeting of the Society for French Historical Studies, Milwaukee: 2002 - 2003
- Presentation, "French Rayonnement in an Era of Decolonization: New Caledonia as an Example," 28th Annual Conference of the Western Society for French Historical Studies, UCLA: 2000
- Chair, "Roundtable: Rethinking French Colonial History," 47th Annual Meeting of the Society for French Historical Studies, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill: 2001
- University Task Force on Liberal Education, University of Minnesota: 1990 - 1991
- Director, Western European Area Studies Center, College of Liberal Arts, University of Minnesota: 1986 - 1992
- Origins of Contemporary Europe, 1890-1914. Munholland, John, New York: Harcourt, Brace and Jovanovich, 1970.
- Wine and War: The French, the Nazis, and the Battle for France's Greatest Treasure. Munholland, John, New York: Broadway Books, 2000.
- "AMGOT," "Bir Hakeim," "Chaban-Delmas," "Jean Decoux," "Overseas Empire," "Free French, Fighting French, Fighting France, Fighting French," "Jean de Lattre de Tassigny," Maurice Vlaminck". Munholland, John, Historical Dictionary of World War II France: The Occupation, Vichy, and the Resistance, 1938-1946, 1998.
- "Reflections on Fascism". Munholland, John, Modern Greek Studies Yearbook, 14/15, 1998/1999.
- "Free France". Munholland, John, La France Libre: de l'appel du 18 juin a la Liberation, 1998.
- College of Liberal Arts Teaching Award, 1979
- Graduate School Research Grant, 1999 - 2000
- McKnight Summer Fellow, 1996