School of Journalism and Mass Communications
221 Murphy Hall
206 Church St SE
Educational Background & Specialties
- development and testing of digital story forms
- digital game research
- news informatics
- online journalism and strategic communications
Research & Professional Activities
- Director: Institute for New Media Studies, School of Journalism, University of Minnesota , 2000 - 2010
- Faculty member/library director: Poynter Institute for Media Studies , 1991 - 2000
- Editor for information services: News Research Center, Miami Herald , 1979 - 1991
- Online Journalism Contest Judging: Editor & Publisher, Online News Association, Society for News Design , 1997 --
- Board Member: Online News Association and New Directions for News , 2000 -- 2004
- Director, Minnesota Journalism Center: Runs the outreach center for the School of Journalism and Mass Communication , 2010
- Research Methodologies for New Media: We are holding international conferences for research methodologists focused on examing new media issues, September 2003
- Elements of Digital Storytelling: Creating and testing a digital storytelling taxonomy and researching audience effects of different combinations of storytelling elements, April 2002
- Digital Game Research: Promoting the examination of the digital game environment through the lens of social science research, May 2003
- Eyetracking the News: Using eyetracking equipment to test usability and use of news websites
- Invited Speaker: Minnesota Interactive Marketing Association: Workshop on Elements of Digital Storytelling, 2003 --
- Invited Speaker: American Press Institute: Twice yearly presentations of the Digital Storytelling lecture to the Online News conference, 2002 --
- Invited Speaker: University of Southern California New Media Conference: Annual presenter or moderator at the conference - this year on new media education, 2001 --
- News Games: Recipient of a Knight Foundation News Challenge grant to create and test a news game, 2008 - 2010
- Disaster at Harperville: Developed a journalism interviewing simulation using the Thinking Worlds platform, 2009
- When Nerds and Words Collide: Essays on the Development of Computer-Assisted Reporting. Paul, Nora, 1999.
- The changing role of the news librarian: use of the Internet worldwide: Paul, Nora, Information Sources for the Press and Broadcast Media, 1999.
- Great Scouts: CyberGuides for Subject Searching on the Web. Paul, Nora, M Williams, 1999.
- Computer Assisted Research: A guide to Tapping Online Information: Paul, Nora, IV , 1999.
- Computer Assisted Reporting and Research: Paul, Nora, News Writing and Reporting for Today's Media, 1999.
- Cases and Commentaries: The Big Issues: Liability, Quality Control, and Security: Paul, Nora, Journal of Mass Media Ethics, 1998.
- New Media Matter(s). Paul, Nora, Laura Ruel, INMS, 2002.
- Survey of Newsroom Information Practices: Paul, Nora, Kathleen A Hansen, Betsy Neibergall, Newspaper Research Journal, 24 , 2003.
- Behind the Message: Information Strategies for Communicators. Paul, Nora, Kathleen A. Hansen, Longman, 2003.
- Minnesota Women of Achievement, 2003
- Top Ten "Wired" Women - ABCNews.com, 2002
- Henebry Award - Roll of Honor - Special Libraries Association, News Division, 1995