Laura M Pigozzi
Educational Background & Specialties
- B.S.: Mechanical Engineering, University of Illinois, Champaign, IL, 1982.
- M.S.: Scientific and Technical Communication, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, 2009.
- Ph.D.: Rhetoric and Scientific & Technical Communication, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, 2015.
- Technical and Professional Communication
- Health Communication
- Intercultural Communication
- Rhetoric of health & medicine
- Intercultural communication in the health domain
- communication of consent (trial and clinical)
- WRIT 5001 Introduction to Graduate Studies in Techical Communication
- WRIT 3562: Technical and Professional Writing
- WRIT 3029: Business and Professional Writing
- WRIT 3257: Scientific and Technical Presentations
Research & Professional Activities
- Examining the gap between a morally valid consent and a legally adequate consent: Investigating Latino understanding of an informed consent conference: This three study research project examined the adequacy of the informed consent process when members of the immigrant Latin@ community are recruited into clinical trials. This bioethics question was explored using a multi-disciplinary lens, situating it at the intersection of rhetoric, scientific and technical communication, and intercultural communica00tion. A unique theory emerged from grounded theory methodology. , 2012 - 2015
- WINS: This project involves conducting empirical research to better understand the needs and challenges of the international students in upper division writing courses 2014
- Effective Intercultural Healthcare Materials: An exploratory, qualitative study investigating intercultural healthcare communications produced for use by members of the Latino community. The purpose of the study was to identify components of these healthcare materials that effectively communicated the information 2009
- Review of Communicating Race, Ethnicity, and Identity in Technical Communication: Pigozzi, Laura, Journal of Technical Writing and Communication, 45 , 2015.
- Joan Aldous Diversity Grant, 2016 - 2017
- Health Equity Leadership and Mentoring Fellow, 2016 - 2017
- Community-Engaged Teaching and Learning Faculty Fellows, 2016
- Consortium Fellow, Consortium on Law and Values in Health, Environment & the Life Sciences2014
- Jame I. Brown Teaching Excellence Award2012