Robert J Poor
Educational Background & Specialties
- Bronze Age archaeology
- East Asian art
- ArtH 3013 - Introduction to East Asian Art
- ArtH 5960 - Topics: Art History: Temples & Gardens in East Asia
- ArtH 8720 - Painterly and Literary Traditions in East Asia.
- ArtH 5769 - Connoisseurship in Asian Art
- ArtH 5766 - Chinese Painting
- ArtH 5765 - Japanese Painting
- ArtH 5725 - East Asian Ceramics
- ArtH 1909W - 1421: The Year China Discovered America
Research & Professional Activities
- Parlimentarian: Department of Art History, University of Minnesota , 2002 - 2003
- "Ancient Chinese Bronzes," the Dayton Institute of the Arts, Dayton, OH: 2002
- Organizer and Chair: "Renaissance and Renascene in Chinese Art," academic panel on the Uses of the Past, College Art Association of America , 2000
- Member: Advisory Committee, Department of Art History, University of Minnesota , 2002 - 2003
- Member: College of Liberal Arts Assembly , 2003 - 2004
- Chair: Curriculm Committee, Department of Art History , 2002 - 2004
- Looking at East Asian Prehistoric Cermaics : Paper University of Chicago 2008
- Performing Antiquity: Images of the Chinese scholar-collector., 2005 - 2006
- The Pottery of Ancient China: A survey of the ceramics and their place in ancient Chinese culture, 2002 - on going
- The Art of the Holocaust: The critical and public receptionn of art dealing with holocaust/genocidal themes, 1999 - on going
- Negotiating the Past: A study of Chinese uses of the past in matters of art, 1966 - on going
- East Asian Art in a Global Context: A brief summary of the impact of Chinese export art in world culture., 2004 - 2005
- Invited speaker: The Honeywell China Study Group.: Address on Chinese Landscape painting, January, 2005
- Invited speaker: The China Center, University of Minnesota at the Weisman Art Museum.: Keytnote address on the occasion of Chinese New Year banquet honoring China Center supporters., February 9, 2005
- Three Chinese-style rock and tree plantings exhibited at the Krannert Art Museum and the Metropolitan Art Museum as catalogued items in the exhibition, Sacred Mountains in Chinese Art: 1990 - 1991
- Old Wine and New Bottles. Poor, Robert, Wesibrod 30 Years, pp. 10-11, 40-57, 2002.
- Choice Things are Set Before Them. Poor, Robert, 2003.
- The Spirit of Wu. Poor, Robert, Archetype and Archaism, pp. 10-12, 24-53, 2001.
- In Search of Immortality. Poor, Robert, Searching for Immortality, pp. 10-12, 16-27, 2000.
- Picturing Death. Better This than Silence. Poor, Robert, in Stephen Feinstein,Absence/Presence, Critical Essays on the Artistic Memory of the Holocaust, Universirty of Syracuse Press, Fall 2004.
- Art-East Asia, pp. 133-137.. Poor, Robert, Wm. McNeill, senior editor., Berkshire Publishing, 2005..