Ms Simona Sawhney
Educational Background & Specialties
- South Asian literature
- Sanskrit literature
- Post-Colonial Literature and Theory
- Literary Theory
- Culture and the Ends of Education (MA) (EFLU, Hyderabad)
- Critical Approaches to Asian Literary and Cultural Texts (grad)
- National Identity in Hindi/Urdu Literature (grad/undergrad)
- South Asian and South Asian-American Women Writers (grad/undergrad)
- Readings in Hindi/Urdu Texts (undergrad)
- Reading Asian Cultures (undergrad)
- Stories of Empire (undergrad)
- Modern South Asian Literature (undergrad)
Research & Professional Activities
- Advisory Board, Twentieth Century Literature:
- Advisory Board, Bryn Mawr Review of Comparative Literature:
- Advisory Board, Institute of Advanced Study, University of Minnesota, 2005-2008:
- Co-Organizer, South Asia Seminar, University of Minnesota, 2006-2008:
- Visiting Professor, Center for Cultural Studies, English and Foreign Languages Institute, Hyderabad, India (Formerly CIEFL), Fall 2007:
- Co-Organizer, The Middle East and US Foreign Policy (Lecture series), Fall 2006:
- Faculty Research Circles Grant in International Studies selection committee, UMN (Summer, 2006):
- CLA Religious Studies Committee, UMN (Spring 2006):
- Organizer and Leader: Literature Workshop, "Law and Gender," at Government College for Women, Srinagar, India, and at SPACE: Students' Platform for Acquiring and Consolidating Experience, July, 2003.,
- "War, Civilian, Citizens." Center for Civil Society, University of KwaZulu-Natal, published September 2006. Now available at the Center's Online Library.:
- "Kashmir: The Politics of Fear." Communalism Combat, 98 (2004): 3:
- "Three Weeks at the Government College for Women," The Fifty-Three Years of the College (Commemorative Volume) 2003: 112-116.:
- "Barson mein kya seekha" (What Have We Learnt in all these Years), Navbharat Times (National Hindi Daily), Opinion Piece, September 19, 2002 (translated in Urdu (by the editors) and published in the Siasat Daily, Hyderabad, November 3, 2002):
- The Modernity of Sanskrit. Sawhney, Simona, University of Minnesota Press (US), Permanent Black (India), Author, 2008.
- "Who is Kalidasa? Sanskrit Poetry in Modern India": Sawhney, Simona, Postcolonial Studies, 7:3 294-312, 2004.
- Twentieth Century Literature (Special Issue on Salman Rushdie). Sawhney, Simona, Co-Author, 2001.
- "Reading Rushdie After September 11, 2001": Sawhney, Simona, Twentieth Century Literature, 45(3) , 1999.
- "Gods, Heroes, and Epic Translations": Sawhney, Simona, The Canadian Review of Comparative Literature, 81-93, 1999.
- "Remembering the Veda: Accumulations of Interest": Sawhney, Simona, Jouvert: A Journal of Postcolonial Studies, Special Double Issue, "Religion Between Culture and Philosophy," 3:1&2, 1999. Link
- "Ethics and the Writing of Experience: Kalidasa in the work of Mohan Rakesh": Sawhney, Simona, Journal of Contemporary Thought (India), 14 41-53, 2001.
- "Shattered Love" (a translation of Jean-Luc Nancy's essay L'amour en eclats): Sawhney, Simona, Lisa Garbus, University of Minnesota Press, Co-Author.
- MacArthur International Faculty Exchange Fellowship, UMN, 2007
- CLA Research Fellowship Supplement, University of Minnesota, 2007
- Macarthur Summer Fellowship, University of Minnesota, 2004
- McKnight Summer Research Fellowship, University of Minnesota, 2004
- Faculty Summer Research Fellowship, University of Minnesota, 2004
- Humanities Release Time Fellowship, University of Illinois (2003).
- Faculty fellowship, Illinois Program for Research in the Humanities (2001-2002 )