Affiliate Faculty: Gamelan Ensemble
Development and expansion of a program of Indonesian performance and educational activities in Minneapolis/St. Paul, initially for the Schubert Club and since 2003 through IPAAM (Indonesian Performing Arts Association of Minnesota). Activity includes
- establishment and development of the Sumunar Gamelan and Dance Ensemble and its youth gamelan groups. All perform regularly, locally and beyond;
- development and implementation of school residencies and workshops in gamelan music making and related aspects of Indonesian culture;
- college-level gamelan instruction at institutions including the Univ. of Minnesota (currently ongoing), Univ. of St. Thomas, Winona State University, St. Cloud State University, Hamline University, Gustavus Adolphus College, St. Olaf College and Hamilton College (Clinton, N.Y.).
- establishment of a gamelan program at the Indonesian Embassy, Santiago, Chile, August 2003/04.
- directed production of a CD, Sayuk“”Together in Harmony, performed by the Sumunar Gamelan Ensemble on the museum-quality gamelan instruments at the National Music Museum, The Univ. of South Dakota, Vermillion, SD
- Collaboration with Heart of the Beast, 1999: “Gyre“ --Co-production with “Zeitgeist,“ 1998: “Koneksi“ --two new gamelan pieces for elementary-level students to support the general music curriculum, 2004 (Grant from MN State Arts Board) --“Tobat““”new work for gamelan, dance and shadow puppetry. Performed spring 2007 by Sumunar Ensembles. (Grant from MN State Arts Board) --Arrangement of a piece for St. Paul Chamber Orchestra and Sumunar Youth Gamelan Ensemble. Performed May 2006, SPCO Family Series --Arrangement of four traditional hymn tunes for choir and gamelan. Performed fall 2008 at Good Samaritan United Methodist Church, Edina --Arrangement of traditional gamelan pieces for gamelan+middle school band, orchestra, and chorus. For FAIR School, Crystal, MN, spring 2009 AWARDS
- Young Audiences of Minnesota: Artist of the Year, 2003
- City of Minneapolis: Award for Community Contribution, 1997
- American Composers’ Forum; commission, 1997
- Minnesota Music Educators’ Ass’n: Distinguished Service Award, 1997
- Jerome Foundation: Grant to study contemporary wayang kulit theatre (shadow puppet plays) in Surakarta, Java. Completed summer 2005
- MN State Arts Board: grant to study Sundanese drumming (Indonesia), summer 2008.