Ojibwe & Dakota Language Courses Guide
Department of American Indian Studies
19 Scott Hall
72 Pleasant St SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455
Community Engagement Coordinator
Please use this reference guide to find and enroll in Ojibwe and Dakota language courses.
Which Class Should I Take?
We offer two enrollment options for beginning and intermediate language courses, based on whether you are admitted to the University (degree-seeking) or are taking the courses as a community member (nondegree-seeking).
- admitted to UMN in a future semester
- seeking a degree at another institution
- taking an academic course for enrichment
Degree-seeking students register for five-credit courses while nondegree-seeking students register for three credits. The courses are designed to be taken in sequence. The advanced and mastery classes do not have separate registration options.
Note: The University's Senior Citizen Education Program allows those ages 62 and up to take classes at the University of Minnesota for $10 a credit or to audit them for free.
Regularly admitted UMN students should take the following
- OJIB 1101 Beginning Ojibwe I (5 cr.)
- OJIB 1102 Beginning Ojibwe II (5 cr.)
- OJIB 3103 Intermediate Ojibwe I (5 cr.)
- OJIB 3104 Intermediate Ojibwe II (5 cr.)
- DAKO 1121 Beginning Dakota I (5 cr.)
- DAKO 1122 Beginning Dakota II (5 cr.)
- DAKO 3123 Intermediate Dakota I (5 cr.)
- DAKO 3124 Intermediate Dakota II (5 cr.)
Nondegree-seeking (guest) students should take the following
- OJIB 4101 Beginning Ojibwe I (3 cr.)
- OJIB 4102 Beginning Ojibwe II (3 cr.)
- OJIB 4103 Intermediate Ojibwe I (3 cr.)
- OJIB 4104 Intermediate Ojibwe I 3 cr.)
- DAKO 4121 Beginning Dakota I (3 cr.)
- DAKO 4122 Beginning Dakota II (3 cr.)
- DAKO 4123 Intermediate Dakota I (3 cr.)
- DAKO 4124 Intermediate Dakota II (3 cr.)
The following language courses are open to all students after the first two levels have been completed or with instructor’s approval
- OJIB 5106 Advanced Ojibwe Language I
- OJIB 5109 Advanced Ojibwe Language II
- OJIB 5202 Ojibwe Mastery I
- OJIB 5204 Ojibwe Mastery II
- OJIB 5250 Ojibwe Master Class
- DAKO 5126 Advanced Dakota Language I
- DAKO 5129 Advanced Dakota Language II
- DAKO 5226 Dakota Mastery I
- DAKO 5229 Dakota Mastery II
How Do I Find & Register for Classes?
There are many ways to search and enroll in our courses. To enroll, you must have a MyU account. If you already have a MyU account, search for courses within the Schedule Builder tool.
Find Your Class
You can search for class without logging into a MyU account.
- Go to the University's public class search page.
- Enter the institution: Twin Cities/Rochester.
- Enter the desired term.
- Enter or select the subject: OJIB or DAKO.
- Enter the campus: Twin Cities.
- Enter any other criteria you'd like to use to narrow your search.
- Click the search button.
Search & Register/Enroll
To enroll in courses, you must have an active MyU account.
- Log in to Schedule Builder.
- Enter the campus: Twin Cities
- Enter the desired term.
- Enter the subject: OJIB or DAKO.
- Click the search button.
- Toggle through the search results as needed; they are organized by course level.
- In the Schedules tab, click the “Send to Shopping Cart” button to move your selection to your MyU account.
- From your MyU account, follow these instructions to complete your registration.
How Do I Get a MyU Account?
MyU accounts are available to both regularly admitted and nondegree-seeking students but the process for attaining access is different for each.
Regular Student Admissions
The University admissions office will guide you through the regular admissions process. Once admitted, you will have access to your MyU account.
Nondegree-Seeking (For Community Members)
You can take classes as a nondegree-seeking (guest) student. You will enroll through the College of Continuing and Professional Studies (CCAPS).
For assistance on how to register, see these guides.
- CCAPS: Information for Nondegree/Guest Students
- One Stop Student Services: Take a class as non-degree/guest student
|Step||Regularly Admitted UMN Students||Nondegree-Seeking (Guest) Students|
|Students who are admitted to UMN through the normal admissions process||Anyone who is not admitted to UMN as a regular student
(If you already have a MyU account, skip the next step)
|Attain MyU Access||You will obtain MyU access via the administration process||Complete the steps at CCAPS' page for nondegree/guest students|
|Search for Classes||Search for classes via Schedule Builder or Class Search.
Search for the following designators:
|Choose Your Class(es)||OJIB 1101 Beginning Ojibwe I (5 cr.)
OJIB 1102 Beginning Ojibwe II (5 cr.)
OJIB 3103 Intermediate Ojibwe I (5 cr.)
OJIB 3104 Intermediate Ojibwe II (5 cr.)
DAKO 1121 Beginning Dakota I (5 cr.)
DAKO 1122 Beginning Dakota II (5 cr.)
DAKO 3123 Intermediate Dakota I (5 cr.)
DAKO 3124 Intermediate Dakota II (5 cr.)
|OJIB 4101 Beginning Ojibwe I (3 cr.)
OJIB 4102 Beginning Ojibwe II (3 cr.)
OJIB 4103 Intermediate Ojibwe I (3 cr.)
OJIB 4104 Intermediate Ojibwe I 3 cr.)
DAKO 4121 Beginning Dakota I (3 cr.)
DAKO 4122 Beginning Dakota II (3 cr.)
DAKO 4123 Intermediate Dakota I (3 cr.)
DAKO 4124 Intermediate Dakota II (3 cr.)
|Register for Classes in MyU||From Schedule Builder, send the courses to your MyU account by selecting the "Send to Shopping Cart" option. (You can also record the class number and enter it manually within MyU's Academics tab.)
Log in to your MyU account and select the Academics tab. Register for your courses.
For more information on how to enroll for your courses in MyU, refer to the guide Enroll in a Class.