Undergraduate Scholarship - Libertus-Rice Transfer Scholarship
Call for Applications: The Department of American Indian Studies is accepting applications from UMN-TC Native American students for two Libertus Rice Transfer Scholarships. The awards are for up to $2500 each, and will be awarded in mid-February 2020.
Rules for Eligibility
The applicant must,
1) be Native American through tribal-enrollment or by affiliation/lineage, with verifiable documentation AND;
2) be enrolled (or be in the process of enrolling) as a transfer undergraduate student at UMN-TC OR;
3) have transferred (or be in the process of transferring) from a tribal college.
1) must take (or must have taken) at least one American Indian Studies course;
2) remain in good academic standing in order to receive the full amount of the award, which will be dispersed in five increments beginning in February and ending in May 2020.
Criteria for Selection
Applicants will be chosen on the combined basis of financial need and potential for helping build relations between UMN and tribal communities.
1) Personal Statement: in one to two pages maximum, introduce
a) yourself, making sure to identify your tribal enrollment in, or your affiliation to, a specific Native American community. If you are not enrolled, explain the basis of your affiliation (how are you related to that community); b) your need for financial assistance;
c) why you chose UMN and how your choice of studies here might help you serve your tribal community and efforts to build relations between it (or Native Americans in general) and UMN
2) Unofficial transcripts from UMN and other colleges where you have been enrolled;
3) One letter of recommendation from a non-family member.
Deadline for Submission
11:59 pm, Friday, February 7, 2020.
Send and address email message and application package materials as electronic attachments to: Dr. Vicente M. Diaz at firstname.lastname@example.org. Use the Subject heading: “Libertus-Rice Scholarship Application 2020”
Awardees will be notified by February 14, 2020