Ojibwe Language Teaching Certificate
The Ojibwemodaa Eta! Teaching Certificate is designed to address the critical point of Ojibwe language loss in Minnesota by developing a cadre of Ojibwe language learners, speakers, and teachers. This effort is part of a global indigenous language revitalization movement based on the understanding that language is fundamental to cultural survival and tribal sovereignty.
In this program, you can develop a level of fluency in the language that prepares you to conduct your own immersion classroom (entirely in the language). We connect our language program to state teaching licensure programs and other institutions that need certified language teachers. Our close ties help provide our graduates with careers, and attract prospective indigenous language speakers and teachers to our communities.
What You'll Learn
This certificate program will prepare you to take an active teaching role in the American Indian community. You'll gain advanced proficiency and knowledge–both written and oral–of the Ojibwe language. By enrolling in this certificate program, you will:
- Become familiar with indigenous language revitalization history, issues, research, and efforts on state, regional, national, and international levels.
- Become familiar with basic principles of language revitalization teaching methodologies.
- Practice these principles in a required semester-long practicum assisting in a community language program.
- Learn the basic techniques for describing and analyzing linguistic data through working on examples taken from Ojibwe texts and translations.
Enhance your knowledge and skills, learn new skills, or begin working toward an undergraduate or graduate degree. The Ojibwemodaa Eta! Teaching Certificate is:
- shorter than degree programs
- used as an area of study for a degree program
- flexible and offered at varying times
- taught by University faculty
To be admitted into the Ojibwe Language Teaching Certificate, you must complete four semesters of Ojibwe language at the University of Minnesota.