Now Hiring: Communications Specialist
We are now accepting applications for the Communications Specialist position. Please share!
Apply for this position at https://humanresources.umn.edu/content/find-job and in the search box enter in Job ID 330594.
The job description is attached below. This is a 50%-time position.
Department of Art
Communications Specialist (Job Code 8445), part-time 50%
Second level professional communications work in the areas of marketing and public/internal relations, responsible for programmatic communications and marketing planning and implementation, content creation, and project management.
Programmatic Communication and Marketing Duties – 90%
- Creates, implements, analyzes, and evaluates the department’s educational programs and events (visiting artist, emerging artist, diversity residency, exhibitions, and international exchange of artists and students).
- Develops communication and marketing plans for events, services, and activities that are in line with a greater department communications and/or marketing strategy. Acts as PR and Media Coordinator, developing all advertising, marketing and public relations materials to promote and reinforce the strategic communication plan with student employees who are also supervised by this position. Does occasional video and photography work.
- Creates press packets for news outlets announcing faculty/student/alumni achievements. Designs invitations, fliers and announcements for department events and exhibitions. Creates specialized or technical materials for marketing, publication, and/or public or internal relations that incorporate both written and graphic work, and utilize multiple media methods.
- Engages with other University colleges and departments, the media, or the public on questions, comments, or requests for information. Writes responses to news publications for information related and concerning the University of Minnesota.
- Develops marketing materials for prospective students. Identifies promotional or advertising opportunities, analyzes existing markets; coordinates and monitors the use of Department of Art brands.
- Designs and implements the department’s current website. Works with OIT to create a visually exciting site that fits within the set format. SKILLS NEEDED: extensive Adobe Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator), Premier/Final Cut Pro, Drupal, Mail Chimp, Google Suite, Word, PowerPoint; a necessary and sophisticated aesthetic to create graphics that compete with other art institutions. Also develops and maintains the department’s Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube pages. Analyzes web usage to identify trends in new media communication tools and social media.
- Other programmatic and marketing duties as assigned.
Supervision - 10%
- Manages the daily supervision of student workers related to Department of Art communications. Prioritizes and assigns work; trains student communications staff on work methods and procedures. Makes recommendations regarding hiring, promotion, discipline, and rewarding student communications staff.
- Bachelor’s degree in Art, Communications, Journalism, Marketing or related field plus 2 years professional experience, or 6 years combined equivalent education and experience.
- Three years of experience with Web authoring software such as Adobe Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator), Premier/Final Cut Pro, Drupal, Mail Chimp, Google Suite, Word, PowerPoint, and social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube).
- One-year experience working to support an academic unit in a college or university setting or in a related field.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills to include proofreading, spelling, and grammar on telephone, email, and face-to face.
- Experience or strong knowledge of the liberal arts and/or University policies and procedures related to student and academic life.
- Prior experience handling and organizing various prints, slides and digital image cataloging.
- Proven ability to work independently.
- Successful problem solving and decision making skills.
- Excellent organizational skills, to include multi-tasking and time management.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 30 pounds (on occasion).