2018 Conference of the Austrian Studies Association CALL FOR PAPERS -- Apply by December 15, 2017
AUSTRIA AND THE EAST/ ÖSTERREICH UND DER OSTEN
May 30-June 1, 2018
University of Vermont, Burlington VT
CALL FOR PAPERS | Submission deadline: December 15, 2017
The 2018 Conference of the Austrian Studies Association will focus in Austrian’s rich and complex relationship with the East throughout its history.
Paper proposals that take up the cultural, political, and social exchanges between Austria and the East—Eastern Europe, Russia, Turkey, Middle East and the Far East—are welcome. “Eastern Europe” also includes the crownlands of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and all their later incarnations (e.g. both as Czechoslovakia and the Czech Republic and Slovakia, as Yugoslavia and Bosnia, Serbia, Croatia).The conference topic is conceived to elicit submissions reflecting the widest variety of disciplinary as well as multi- and interdisciplinary perspectives. Papers with interdisciplinary methodology and/or transnational focuses are particularly encouraged. Papers may be given in German or English; the conference will support standard media (audio, DVD, PowerPoint).
- The reception of Austrian art, film, music, theater, architecture, and literature in the East and vice versa
- Austrian imagination of Eastern populations
- Literary reactions to immigration from the East
- Cooperation between Austria and Eastern European countries
- Reflections on Austria and World War I
- Austrian perspectives on Turkey and the Ottoman Empire; Turkish and Ottoman perspectives on Austria
- Austria and the Cold War
- Austria and the East in the Post-Cold War
- Austria, the EU, and the Osterweiterung
- Human trafficking between Austria and the East
- Representation of Austria in the works of writers with Eastern backgrounds
- Austrian colonization and influence in the Balkans
- Interpretations and memory of the Turkish Siege of Vienna
- The Soviet occupation of Austria
- Austrian perspectives on the Far East
- Austrian perspectives on South Asia
- Austrian perspectives on Islam, Orthodox Christianity, Buddhism, and/or Hinduism
- Austrian perspectives on the Holy Land
- Orientalist discourse in Austrian art, film, literature, and political discourse
- Representations of the East in Austrian geographic texts
- Austrian interpretations of the Crimean War
Submit abstracts of ca. 300 words, with a title and a short (200 word) biography suitable for an introduction at the conference to email address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Submission deadline: December 15, 2017
Individual papers or full panels of 3-4 papers submitted as a block may be proposed; the conference committee may request modifications.
In addition, graduate student submitters should add a note if they would like to apply for travel funds from the ASA.
Presenters are required to be members of the Austrian Studies Association.
To join the Association, subscribe to its journal by going to the ASA website at http://www.austrian-studies.org/ and clicking the "membership" link in the menu bar, which will take you to the website of the University of Nebraska Press, publisher of JAS.
Conference organizers: Helga Schreckenberger, Department of German and Russian, and Nicole Phelps, Department of History, University of Vermont
Queries about the conference may be sent to email@example.com.