Portfolio of Skills
After you are admitted to Chinese Flagship program, we help build your Portfolio of Skills—Chinese language skills, cultural skills, and professional skills—through the following channels:
Language Requirements (two semesters)
- Media Chinese (CHN 5040) - fall semester
- Contemporary Chinese Texts 1949-present (CHN 5040) - spring semester
Trains you in media Chinese and in modern and contemporary Chinese texts (taught in Chinese). CHN 5040 must be taken during both fall and spring semesters.
- Introductory Classical Chinese I (CHN 5211) - fall semester
- Introductory Classical Chinese II (CHN 5212) - spring semester
Covers important classical Chinese texts (taught in English) and enhances your contemporary reading skills.
Cultural Literacy Requirement
- Culture Survey (two semesters):
Revolution and Modernity in Chinese Literature and Culture (ALL 3336)
Contemporary Chinese Literature (ALL 3337)
Introduces you to modern and contemporary Chinese literature and popular culture.
- Summer in Beijing: Study abroad in the Language Immersion in China program, (same as CET Beijing)--a Flagship-recognized program.
- Tutorials enhance your conversational skills.
- Domain Training applies Chinese to topics in your major.
- Media Discussions targets current socio-economic issues in China.
- Optional Summer Study Abroad: Advanced language study in Taiwan or Harbin.