Portfolio of Skills
After you are admitted to Chinese Flagship program, we help build your Portfolio of Skills—Chinese language skills, cultural skills, and professional skills—through the following channels:
- Media Chinese (CHN 5041) - fall semester
- Contemporary Chinese Texts 1949-present (CHN 5042) - spring semester
Trains you in media Chinese and in modern and contemporary Chinese texts (taught in Chinese).
- One course in Classical Chinese: CHN 5211, 5212, or 5213
Covers important classical Chinese texts (taught in English) and enhances your contemporary reading skills.
- Flagship Chinese for Academic Purposes (CHN 3920, new for Fall 2018)
- Flagship Chinese for Professional Purposes (CHN 3920, new for Spring 2018)
Prepares you for Chinese in academic and professional settings plus advanced cultural skills (taught in Chinese and English).
Cultural Literacy Requirement
Culture Survey (choose two from the following courses):
Revolution and Modernity in Chinese Literature and Culture (ALL 3336)
Contemporary Chinese Literature (ALL 3337)
Martial Arts in Chinese Literature and Film (ALL 3351)
Chinese Film (ALL 3356W)
Taiwan Film (ALL 3357)
Women Writers in Chinese History (ALL 3362)
Religion and Society in Imperial China (ALL 3373)
Patterns in Chinese Cultural History (ALL 3374)
A Thousand Years of Buddhism in China (ALL 3377)
Chinese New Media (ALL 5351)
Early Shanghai Film Culture (ALL 5359)
The Monkey King and Transcultural China (ALL 5374)
Topics in Asian Culture [China focus] (ALL 3920)
Introduces you to various aspects of Chinese literature, culture, and history.
- Summer in Beijing: Study abroad in the Language Immersion in China program, (same as CET Beijing)--a Flagship-recognized program.
- Tutorials enhance your conversational skills.
- Domain Training applies Chinese to topics in your major.
- Media Discussions targets current socio-economic issues in China.
- Optional Summer Study Abroad: Advanced language study in Taiwan or Harbin.