Major Transfer Guide for English

Degree: Bachelor of Arts

The Department Website provides information about major and minor options and requirements, the major declaration process, departmental advising contact information, and more. If you have specific questions about the major, you can contact the departmental advising office.

Recommendations from the Major Department

Courses to prepare for the major

There is no specific course that students are required to take to prepare for the English major. If you are considering a major in English you are encouraged to take a 1xxx-level (lower division) English Literature or Creative Writing course early in your college career to explore your interest.  

At UMTC, ENGL is the designator for English Literature courses and ENGW is the designator for Creative Writing courses. If you are interested in creative writing and plan to take upper division (3xxx-5xxx) Creative Writing (ENGW) courses, taking a 1xxx-level introductory Creative Writing course may be beneficial as our 3xxx-level ENGW courses have a prerequisite of an approved 1xxx-level ENGW course. 

A grade of C- or better is required in all courses approved to satisfy major requirements.

See the catalog for all courses in the major.

Remember, when using Transferology to plan courses for the major, look for courses that transfer as direct equivalents to UMTC major courses. In Transferology, a direct equivalent shows as the UMTC course number. For example, COMM 1101 is a direct equivalent, while COMM 1T*** is not.

Requirements to declare the major

In CLA, each department has a process to declare the major. This is a necessary step for the major to be added to the student record. New transfer students do not declare their majors until after they attend orientation. 

To declare the English major, students meet with an English departmental advisor in an appointment.  There is no prerequisite course that must be completed in order to declare the English major. 

Declaring the major is an important step. We recommend that you meet with an English departmental advisors during your first semester in CLA to discuss your interests and the declaration process. While most upper division major courses are available to all students and only a few have prerequisites, all seats in ENGL 3001W and some seats in some other foundation courses (ENGL 3003W, 3004W, 3005W, 3006W, and 3007) are reserved for declared English majors and minors.

Additionally, since you must be a declared English major to register for ENGL 3001W, and ENGL 3001W must be completed before students can take the English capstone seminar (ENGL 3960W or ENGW 3960W), you should expect it will take you at least two semesters after declaring to complete the English major.

Limits on the use of transfer credits towards the major

Lower division coursework - The English major allows only one lower division (1xxx-level) elective course to be used to satisfy major requirements.  

All English Literature and Creative Writing courses from community colleges are considered to be lower division course (even 2xxx-level courses). In some cases, 2xxx-level courses from four-year institutions are evaluated and allowed to count as 3xxx-level UMTC courses. These evaluations are done on a case-by-case basis by the English Department.

Major residency requirement - A minimum of five upper division courses (for a minimum of 15 3xxx-5xxx credits) of ENGL or ENGW coursework, including the senior project (ENGL 3960W, ENGW 3960W or ENGL 3883V), must be completed at UMTC.

Other limits on the use of transfer credits - 

  • AP and IB credits may not be used in the major.
  • Only literature, creative writing, and linguistics courses primarily concerned with texts originally written in English may be used in the major.
  • Journalism, composition, writing skills, and English language acquisition courses are not accepted in the major, even though they may carry an “ENGL” designation from the transfer institution.

Transfer courses are evaluated by the department for use towards the major. Check Transferology to see if an evaluation already exists for the courses you would like to use toward the major.  If you find a course that has not been evaluated you can submit the course for review. A copy of the course syllabus is required. 

Additional information and recommendations

If you are planning to transfer to CLA to complete the English major and you are attending a community college or other two-year institution, keep in mind the limit on 1xxx-level courses in the major. The department recommends that you limit the number of 1xxx-level English courses that you take prior to transferring, and use your time at the community college to work on your second language coursework and other degree requirements. Be sure to talk with a CLA transfer advisor about any questions you have about completing the CLA Second Language requirement.

If you plan to pursue a secondary teaching license in English Education, make sure that you know the literature and writing courses required for admission to your intended licensure program. Knowing the licensure prerequisite courses will help you overlap these courses with the English major requirements as much as possible. 

The English Department offers a minor in Creative Writing. While you can major in English and minor in Creative Writing, the department will allow only one course to count for both the English major and the Creative Writing minor. If you are interested in pursuing the Creative Writing minor in addition to the English major, make sure to bring this up when you meet with the English departmental advisor when declaring the major.