Students Transferring from Outside of the U of M
Students transferring from outside of the University of Minnesota system must complete the Transfer Application for Admission, which is available through the Office of Admissions. For more information about CLA admissions requirements and application deadlines, visit the Office of Admissions website.
Majors with Additional Admissions Requirements
Some CLA majors/minors require that you complete certain prerequisites before declaring the major or minor. For information on additional requirements needed to declare the major/minor, visit the specific departmental website and the University Catalog.
Programs that require specific GPA minimums and/or an additional application process for entry into the major:
Programs that require an audition or portfolio review for entry into the major:
Steps in the Transfer Process
Here are a few things you need to do to get started as a new student in the College of Liberal Arts:
- Complete the Transfer Application for Admission.
- Confirm your enrollment after you are notified of your admission.
- Initiate your Student Internet Account for the University of Minnesota. You'll need your Internet ID and password to sign up for orientation, register for classes, and access the University's online resources.
2. New Student Checklist
- Confirm your CLA on-campus orientation session.
- Prepare to attend on-campus orientation.
- Take placement tests for mathematics, chemistry, and second language (French, German, or Spanish).
3. On-Campus Orientation
- Have college check-in to learn more about CLA and University policies.
- Meet with your departmental advisor.
- Meet with your CLA advisor to review your transfer coursework, discuss your remaining degree requirements, and get assistance in selecting courses for the upcoming semester.
- Register for classes in one of our computer labs with the help of fellow students and advising staff who will help you successfully register for your courses.
University of Minnesota - Twin Cities undergraduate students must pay a flat tuition rate based on 13 credits, regardless of credit load. If a student intends to complete less than 13 credits, the student may request exemption from this 13 credit flat tuition rate. For more information on this policy or to submit an online 13-Credit Exemption Request, visit the 13-Credit Policy page on the OneStop Student Services website.