U of M Transfer Students
Applying to CLA
To transfer to the College of Liberal Arts from a U of M System Campus (Crookston, Duluth, Morris, or Rochester), students must complete the Application for Change of Campus form.
Visit One Stop's Changing Major or College site for the appropriate form, instructions on completing the form, and change of college deadlines. When completing the form please read the instruction sheet carefully prior to submitting.
Students transferring to U of M Twin Cities must meet the admission requirements of CLA. For more information about CLA admissions requirements visit the Office of Admissions.
Majors with Additional Admissions Requirements
Some CLA majors/minors require that you complete certain prerequisites before declaring the major or minor. For information on additional requirements needed to declare the major/minor, visit the specific departmental website and the University Catalog.
Programs that require specific GPA minimums and/or an additional application process for entry into the major:
Programs that require an audition or portfolio review for entry into the major:
Steps in the Transfer Process
Here are a few things you need to do to get started as a new student in the College of Liberal Arts:
1. Apply to Change Campus
- If you have already been admitted to a degree-seeking program at a University of Minnesota system campus in the past, then you only need to submit a Change of Campus application form to switch to the College of Liberal Arts on the Twin Cities campus. You do NOT need to complete a new Transfer Application with the Office of Admissions.
- Review the guide for changing your U of M campus to learn about the steps needed to complete your transfer smoothly and successfully.
2. New Student Checklist
- Confirm your CLA on-campus orientation session.
- Prepare to attend on-campus orientation.
- Take placement tests for mathematics, chemistry, and second language (French, German, or Spanish).
3. On-Campus Orientation
- Have college check-in to learn more about CLA and University policies.
- Meet with your departmental advisor.
- Meet with your CLA advisor to review your transfer coursework, discuss your remaining degree requirements, and get assistance in selecting courses for the upcoming semester.
- Register for classes in one of our computer labs with the help of fellow students and advising staff who will help you successfully register for your courses.