You are here


If you have previous experience in one of our languages, you are encouraged to take our placement test to see where you should start in our classes.

German Language Placement

Beginning & Intermediate Courses

Students who have prior German experience but have not taken German at the University of Minnesota should take the online Entrance Placement Test (EPT) evaluating listening, reading, and writing skills. Students who perform extremely well on the EPT may be prompted to take the Language Proficiency Exam (LPE) for placement in a 3xxx-level course. For more information and to sign up for the test, see the CLA Language Testing Program.

Conversation & Composition Courses

New students planning to take third-year German (3xxx-level courses) take both the Entrance Placement Test (EPT) and the Language Proficiency Exam (LPE) to ensure accurate course placement. The EPT should be taken online first, followed by the LPE on campus. Both tests evaluate listening, reading and writing skills. In addition, the LPE includes an in-person interview, which may be conducted during specified dates. For more information on the EPT and LPE, see the CLA Language Testing Program.

Dutch, Finnish, Norwegian, and Swedish Language Placement

Students with previous foreign language experience in Dutch, Finnish, Norwegian, or Swedish may use the following guidelines to make decisions about course enrollment. Students who have placed themselves in a course that is not suitable for them will be advised to switch to a different level in the first week of class at the discretion of the instructor. If you are unsure which course you should start in, contact the instructor.

Previous Study Take
No previous experience, informal familiarity with the language of choice, or high school study only (1 year or less). 1001
Limited previous study in foreign language exposure course, summer camp, or during short-term study abroad. 1002
Extended informal exposure to the language of choice, proficiency in a related language (for the Scandinavian language group), study abroad (3–6 months), formal study equivalent to one year of college-level courses, or by recommendation of the instructor. 1003–1004
Previous coursework equivalent to 1001-1004, extended study abroad (6 months or more), or by recommendation of the instructor. The Language Proficiency Exam in the language of choice is the general prerequisite for upper division courses. 3011–3012