Director of News Technology
A director of news technology leads content management system development in the newsroom. They develop new approaches to digital storytelling including the creation of news apps and interactive data projects. The innovation director is a new type of position in newsrooms and is in charge of scanning the horizon for potential innovations in both newsroom operation and journalistic storytelling.
Basic Skills and Competencies
- Understands information architecture and user interface design
- Project management skills
- Facility with data analysis
- Multimedia and web production skills
Kaeti Hinck is currently a data editor and designer and Head of the Data Team at The Washington Post. At the time the video was created, Hinck was the director of news technology at MinnPost, where she managed operations and web development for the Twin Cities news website. Previously she was the editor and multimedia producer at Experience Life. She graduated with degrees in journalism and religion from Augustana College in Sioux Falls, SD.
- Play entire video
- What do you wish you had done or known before you got this job?
- What classes would you recommed that students take to prepare for a career in this area?
- How does a new person in this field get started/launch a career?
- What do you look for in a new hire?
- What do you find most challenging about your job?
- What is most exciting about your job?
- Describe a favorite memory in your job.
Courses to Help Prepare You (Within SJMC)
- JOUR 3102: Multimedia Production and Storytelling
- JOUR 3103: Interactive and Data Journalism
- JOUR 4451: Advanced Multimedia Storytelling
- JOUR 5131: In-Depth Reporting
- JOUR 5155: Database Reporting
Courses to Help Prepare You (Outside SJMC)
- CSCI 1001: Overview of Computer Science
- DES 1101W: Introduction to Design Thinking
- DES 1111: Creative Problem Solving
- DES 3309: Storytelling and Design
- Society of Professional Journalists
- Look for clubs in computer science
- Minnesota Daily
- Opportunities in data journalism
- Minnesota Daily
- The Wake
- Look for internships at campus media outlets, with community nonprofit organizations who need help with their websites and social media applications, at design firms with content-related clients.
- (Website) reporter: job description, salary, job duties
- Become a web editor
- Become an Interactive Designer
- Online News Association
- Investigative Reporters and Editors
- SND - Society for News Design
- Hacks and Hackers
- National Institute for Computer-Assisted Reporting
Potential Job Titles
- Web Content Editor
- Data Specialist
- Online Producer
- Interactive Designer
Where Alumni Work
- Minnesota Public Radio
- Star Tribune
- University of Minnesota
Return to Career Exploration page.