Marketing Communications Manager
Communications and Marketing Managers are responsible for marketing, promotion and strategic initiatives regarding a specific brand. They work with finance and business departments to analyze growth and sales of a product or brand. The job includes brand positioning, strategic messaging, product growth, and ongoing communication with stakeholders.
Basic Skills and Competencies
- Good at balancing multiple projects and tasks
- Strong negotiation skills
- Ability to defend ideas
- Desire to feel passionately about a brand
Jennifer Stoltenow is the marketing communications manager on the Post-It brand in the stationery and office supplies division at 3M. Prior to this role, she was an account supervisor at Colle + McVoy where she worked on such brands as Caribou Coffee, Nestle Purina and ESPN Outdoor Network, and was an account executive at Campbell Mithun. She is a 2003 graduate of SJMC and completed her Professional MA in Strategic Communication at SJMC in 2009. While at SJMC, she was involved in the University of Minnesota's chapter of the National Student Advertising Competition.
- Play entire video
- What was your path to get into this field?
- How do you think this role is changing or has changed over the years?
- What do you wish you had done or known before you got this job?
- What do you look for in a new hire?
- What do you find most challenging about your job?
- What is most exciting about your job?
- Describe a favorite memory in your job.
Courses to Help Prepare You (Within SJMC)
- JOUR 3102: Multimedia Production and Storytelling
- JOUR 3251: Evaluative Research in Strategic Communication
- JOUR 3275: Digital Strategy in Strategic Communication
- JOUR 3775: Administrative Law and Regulation for Strategic Communication
- JOUR 4243: Digital Content for Brand Communications
- JOUR 4251- Psychology of Advertising
- JOUR 4259: Strategic Communication Case Analysis
- JOUR 4262: Management for Strategic Communication
- JOUR 4801- Global Communication
Courses to Help Prepare You (Outside SJMC)
- MKTG 3001: Principles of Marketing
- MGMT 3001: Fundamentals of Management
- ABUS 4022W: Management in Organizations
- COMM 3411: Small Group Communication
- OLPD 3318: Introduction to Project Management
- Consider Management Minor, Leadership Minor
- Ad Club
- Agencies within PRSSA and Ad Club
- Minnesota Daily business side
- Intern in communication offices within the University
- Look for internships in corporate communications
- Intern at an advertising agency in account management
- Bureau of Labor Statistics: Marketing Managers
- Bureau of Labor Statistics: Advertising, Promotions and Marketing Managers
- Job duties/responsibilities
- 10 Signs You Should Work in PR
- International Association of Business Communicators
- Communication Media Management Association
- Arthur W. Page Society
- The Association for Women in Communications
Potential Job Titles
- Brand Strategist
- Senior Communications Specialist
Where Alumni Work
- Granite City Food & Brewery
- CRAVE Restaurant Group
- Optum Health
- Best Buy
Return to Career Exploration page.