Apply to a Hubbard School Major
Application deadline for spring 2019 admission to a major: Friday, September 13, 2019 at 4 p.m.
Application deadline for summer/fall 2019 admission to a major: Friday, January 31, 2020 at 4 p.m.
Once students have been admitted to the College of Liberal Arts, or another degree-seeking college at the University of Minnesota, they may pursue admission to a Hubbard School major.
Preparing to Apply
New Major Planning Sessions:
All students admitted to a major
must attend a New Major Planning
Session to be declared.
October 11, 2019 from 3:30-5pm
February 28, 2020 from 3:30-5pm
Your first step: watch the Hubbard School Pre-major Information Session.
HSJMC advising staff will give you information about the three majors and the application process.
Your next step: explore the major handbooks below.
These handbooks provide comprehensive overviews of each major and will be most helpful when completing Step 3: Sample Major Program Plan/Timeline.
- Strategic Communication: Advertising and Public Relations Major Handbook
- Journalism Major Handbook
- Mass Communication Major Handbook
Students are eligible to apply for major status, once they have:
- Completed or enrolled in JOUR 1001, earning a grade of C or higher
- Completed or enrolled in 30 credits graded A-F (28 credits graded A-F for students in CLA 1001 and CLA 1002), including a minimum of 13 credits graded A-F at the University of Minnesota Twin Cities campus. NOTE: Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate credits do not count towards these required credit totals
- Attended or viewed a required Pre-major Information Session