Teaching Roundtable: Ideas Inspired by the CARLA Summer Institutes
This roundtable will feature five University of Minnesota language instructors who will showcase a wide range of practical teaching ideas that they gleaned from taking a CARLA Summer Institute.
Each presenter will give a short, informal, three-minute presentation about something that inspired them during the institute that they’ve been able to incorporate into their postsecondary language classroom. After this brief introduction to all of the teaching ideas, attendees will join the presenters in breakout rooms so they can continue to exchange ideas in a smaller group setting. Everyone will be invited back to the main room for a final wrap-up.
- Unpackaging Texts through a Multiliteracies Approach: Leiry K. Warren, Graduate Instructor of Spanish and Ph.D. student in the Department of Spanish and Portuguese Studies, who attended: Foreign Language Literacies: Using Target Language Texts to Improve Communication.
- A Literacies-Based Approach to Language Learning in Introductory German: Rachel Dodson, Graduate Instructor of German and Ph.D. student in the Department of German, Nordic, Slavic, and Dutch, who attended: Foreign Language Literacies: Using Target Language Texts to Improve Communication.
- Revamping an Advanced Finnish Course from a Content-Based Language Instruction Perspective: Daniel Haataja, Senior Lecturer of Finnish in the Department of German, Nordic, Slavic, and Dutch, who attended: Content-Based Language Instruction and Curriculum Development.
- Reflecting on the Journey: Learning Journals and Strategy Use in First-Semester French: Ashlie Henery, Lecturer of French in the Department of French and Italian, who attended: Meaningful Portfolio Implementation: Using Goal Setting, Reflection, and Thinking Routines to Enhance Student Proficiency.
- Adapting Curricula to Online Platforms with Special Attention to Accessibility and Universal Design: Alex Korte, Graduate Instructor of Spanish and Ph.D. Candidate in the Department of Spanish and Portuguese Studies, who attended: Transitioning to Teaching Language Online.
The roundtable presenters were recipients of a scholarship offered through a special partnership between the Language Center and CARLA to support professional development for University of Minnesota language instructors to attend the CARLA Summer Institute program.